Talk

Advanced search

My almost 7 year old pig died in the early hours

(7 Posts)
Bimbop5 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:06:59

I am so sad. I lost one of my guinea pigs this morning. She was going to be 7 on May 24th. I still have her mom who is 7 years old and 2 months. Walnut wasn't taking her pain meds last night. She has arthritis and so I knew something was up because she loves metacam. She wasn't interested in veggies either. This morning I saw she passed away. Her mom was next to her. I'm so worried about her mom, Lulu, they've been together since lulu was 5 months old. I got lulu already pregnant, I didn't know at the time.

I have one other guinea pig, pearl, who is 3 but they hate each other. So they don't live together but their cages are side by side. I'm terrified lulu is going to pass away too now that her daughter has left her. Plus she is so old.

I feel like I've been hit by a bus. I miss her already. This is so painful losing Walnut. sad

dietcokeandwine Fri 24-Feb-17 21:12:05

Oh Bimbop, so sorry sad

It's so painful when they go. Particularly when you've had them so long. 7 is a fabulous age for a pig. I had a mum-daughter pair as a teenager, the daughter passed away aged 7 and mum eventually lived to be 8.5...they are such amazing little creatures.

Off to the Rainbow Bridge little Walnut sad

flowers cake wine Bimbop

and virtual parsley for Lulu.

Bimbop5 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:17:52

dietcokeandwine, thank you so much. Yes she lived a long time....never feels long enough though...she was a really special little girl and had just survived pneumonia over Christmas.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Feb-17 21:26:19

Awww Bimbop sad news. Poor Walnut.

You know in your gut when they stop eating its just a matter of time (these animals Live to Eat, once that goes, they quicker go downhill)

Years ago we had two Mum/Daughter pairs (they didn't get on with the other pair) until the oldest sow died then her adult sow daughter was freed up to bond with the other pair.

Hopefully the Mum will tolerate the younger sow, they might not get on like her and Walnut , you might not be able to bond them , but its another pig for company.

We've just lost our GP4 yesterday and our neutered boar is alone for the first time since he was bonded ( he does have our GP7 and GP8 in the next cage who didn't get along with our other sows so we're aiming to bond him and the duo)

It really doesn't get any easier but when they are ill I find myself wishing for a quick end (not that I want rid of the guinea-pig) to save myself having to make the decision myself (like I had to with gP5)

Its a comfort I think that they pass away in their own beds with their cagemate for company. Its a shock for the owner though.

[clover] shamrock for Lulu and Pearl

Bimbop5 Sat 25-Feb-17 00:26:46

70isaLimitNotaTarget, thank you for your post. Yes I'm very grateful she went quick and I didnt have to make that decision. I'm glad she was with her Mom. Lulu seems a bit disorientated. I mean when I cleaned the cage. She seemed a bit lost or something. But I'm probably just reading into it. Im glad to see she is eating. Later on I'll see if she might tolerate Pearl now that she's on her own.

I'm so sorry you lost your guinea pig too, yesterday.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 25-Feb-17 01:25:47

They do feel lost , they are social animals and your pigs have been together literally for life.

My piggies have been very quiet (GP4 and our boar were in since Monday to keep an eye on them) the other pair since Storm Doris on Thursday.
(I'd put their indoor cages away last week <pah> )

My piggie GP8 was lying in hay , I had to prod stroke her. "Not you too GP8, don't do this to me" . Little swine was judgey that I woke her .

I tell you whats weird though - making a salad plate for fewer pigs.
We do a 2+1 now so much less sad

FernieB Sat 25-Feb-17 08:57:38

Sorry to hear about your pig Bimbop, they really do become part of the family and it's so sad when they go. Hope the two ladies you have will now take to each other for your sake. They may be quite content just being able to chat/argue with each other but still having their own space (can you tell I live with teensconfused), but it would lessen the 'owner worry' about a lonely pig.

70 - I know what you mean about making up a smaller salad plate. When Scruffypig departed, I was useless at this and kept forgetting. Gingerpig was clearly delighted at double portions and ended up with a more than normally ample rump. Since the arrival of Madampig, he's slimmed down as she will happily steal whatever he's eating straight from his mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now