Talk

Advanced search

How would I know if my guinea boar was impacted?

(16 Posts)
PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 17:52:01

confused

Just cleaned the cage - lots of 'normal' GP poo pellets, but also some softer stuff. He seems fine, pop corning in his clean cage, making a bee line for the fresh spinach, seriously pissed off at the toe nail clipping grin. All normal there. He's 3 btw so not desperately old.

But the soft poo? Do I need to worry? Or just wait and see?

I am worried because we did not spot anything wrong with his brother and simply found him dead one day sad.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 18:21:18

Anyone?

Still no poo sad
He is usually a poo machine.

fortifiedwithtea Sun 19-Feb-17 18:27:24

Its been a long time since I had Todd, who occasionally had to be held over the toilet and was helped to have a poo. But you can't really miss it. His bum looked bunged up. And the smell, Jesus nothing else like it on earth .

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 18:28:51

Oh, thanks for responding smile

There's no smell.
And how on earth do you 'help' him go?
Squeeze him round the middle??
Googling suggests Vaseline and cotton buds and all sorts - I think he'd maul me if I tried any of that!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 19-Feb-17 18:50:15

Poor boy sad

Impaction (ya can Google some photos if you feel brave mwah ha ) usually has a monster dropping just sitting in the rectum, usually like a load of poohs rolled into a ball , the rectal muscles don't pop them out like losenges, they sit there and clump.

As a Thread Hi-Jack, our GP4 (sow, issues with bleeding at the moment) we found some poohs in the cage like a string of rice with mucous envy

She's had antibiotics and been ok but we've been away half-term and maybe the change of scene unsettled her a bit though she ate well in boarding.

We gave them all hay pellets and water, this morning her droppings were 'better' not 100% but all single, good shape if smallish.

Maybe with Mr Guinea reduce fresh veg if you think its making him soft but give him a bit of fresh cut grass and extra hay ?

When GP2 had issues they didn't smell as a rule (if he was allowed to get the monster pooh out himself - he did about one a week) but a couple of times I had to do the old cotton wool and warm water if I wanted to cuddle him and didn't fancy wearing it . It smelled like dogmuck which is odd for a vegetarian rodent.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 19:51:20

Ha, thank, 70, I was hoping you'd be along smile

Well, he's pooped, but it's really loose, not the usual 'tidy' GP pellets.

He always has access to hay and I've not changed his fresh food, but yes will hold back a bit until he seems more back to normal.

So, if he was impacted, I'd see his rectum/anus bulging? It would be obvious??
<nervously off to google image search>

fortifiedwithtea Sun 19-Feb-17 20:33:12

Yes ,you'd know bulging anal sacs, possibly anus having an open appearance. The smell comes when you help piggy pass a big lump of poop which will covered in a white goo. I can't really described how I evacuated the poo but I do remember it involved surgical latex gloves < vom face envy >

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 20:38:41

Ok, I've now had my fill of disimpaction videos from YouTube envy<- not envy, definitely NOT envy

Why is he loose now? Not exactly watery diarrhoea, but soft poo brown little piles (and I don't me the softer green ones that they eat - disgusting creatures. Remind me why I love him?!).

confused

dietcokeandwine Sun 19-Feb-17 20:44:06

You'd definitely notice impaction OP.

One of my childhood boars was very prone to it, we used to cover a finger in Vaseline and work the lump out, the smell is, as others have said, truly quite vomtastic.

Definitely try cutting right down on veg and up his hay for a bit, and see if that helps. Worth a vet visit if it doesn't, just for a check up, although I do think that some pigs are just prone to softer poo. My current boar goes through random cycles of normal poo and soft poo for no apparent reason, adjusting his diet makes no difference and he's been like this for as long as I can remember confused He's 5.5 now and absolutely healthy apart from this, has been vet checked and no problems...just seems to be him (whilst his brother, who died recently, never had any poo issues at all).

Hope it gets sorted soon.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 21:06:14

Ok, this boar will NEVER speak to me again! shock

I got one pellet out, one.
And some more liquid, faecal looking stuff.

I'll see what the night brings....

Thank you, all thanks

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 19-Feb-17 21:56:32

Lardy , uncastrated , old boars are more at risk but my GP2 was a slender little Abby (though he had his tackle intact)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 19-Feb-17 22:04:52

I keep telling Bert that the reason the Rescue had him neutered wasn't just to get some mad bat to adopt him allow him to live with Laydeez but to protect his bumhole from going all Ring of Fire like a Johnny Cash song.

Bert is suitably impressed <not> by this little nugget of info.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 22:13:32

70, ours is a fat Rex, but he's only 3 (or thereabouts, was a rescue but came to us still all small and babyish smile) so his age must be right, give or take a few weeks maybe).

I don't dare to suggest neutering to him, he is judging me severely for today molestation...

atheistmantis Mon 20-Feb-17 02:12:54

We use cotton wool buds and gently squeeze it out. He doesn't complain so it either doesn't hurt or he's a perverted old man blush

PacificDogwod Mon 20-Feb-17 08:00:19

Well, he's still here, but not much normal poo in his cage.
sad

atheistmantis Mon 20-Feb-17 08:29:47

😟

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now