Talk

Advanced search

New Guinea pig intro

(5 Posts)
Wizzywoosh Wed 15-Feb-17 16:27:24

HI I found my one year old piggy had passed away on Sunday morning we were devastated her best friend must have tried to help her and had nibbled her ears but otherwise she was acting normal I intantly cleaned and disinfected their cage just in case but smokie is absolutely fine we noticed that raggy the one that died was getting bigger and bigger we were wondering if she had maybe a growrh or a tumar she shown no signs or been ill I can't stop thinking was there something I could have done and I feel ever so guilty x

Toottootcar Thu 16-Feb-17 23:54:22

That's really sad. We lost one recently, even though he was receiving medical care he still died, sometimes they just do. Obviously it's good to take them to the vet if you notice changes, though if it was a tumour I suspect they couldn't have done much.
The dcs and I still feel guilty about our pig, it's understandable.

Mottled Fri 17-Feb-17 03:34:04

Maybe she was a cuy? Sorry for your loss.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 18-Feb-17 13:52:17

Quite possible a uterine/mammary type growth but TBH , without a scan, you don't know for sure.
And if it is then the options for treatment? Surgery? Will it re-occur?

Its a shock for you but if they slip away quietly with their cagemate at their side , its quite a 'nice' way to go.

And Guinea Pigs are expert at hiding illness , its how prey animals are. It doesn't mean you've missed something, they can hide things really well.
I've sometimes noticed my pigs are ill literally 24 hours before they die by the way they sit, but I'm just in the right place/time to see it.

With GP2, I knew he was getting a bit old'n'ropey but he chirped for breakfast then DD found him dead (not a complete shock but I didn't expect it that day)

Cuddles to Smokie .

atheistmantis Mon 20-Feb-17 02:15:36

They are so good at hiding it, with our boar who died not long ago he seemed fine and the only clue was that he was very cold. I sat cuddling and stroking him and he died within a few hours, not unexpected as he was eight. Until he got cold he was running round and squeaking madly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now