Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New to the piggies...

(14 Posts)
goodthinking99 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:30:28

I'm new to the joys of wee furry GPs but have had this pair of curious girls (Dolly and Bunty) for about 6 weeks. They are DDs (age7) but are mine really...and I think they are just great and find cleaning and feeding them quite a relaxing task

They wheek like goodun's at the merest hint a of bag of spinach being rustled and I think I've witnessed some popcorning...but it's to an untrained eye so I'm not sure.

My questions are - they live in the kitchen in this c&c run, does it look ok for them? Can I improve it? I'm planning to put a loft on soon, in the hope that they will be able to negotiate a ramp. They have a little pootle around the rest of the kitchen when I'm cleaning the run, is this to be encouraged? Could the explore the rest of the flat if supervised?

And they will deign to have their noses tickled when bribed with parsley (or any food) but aren't keen on being picked up...will this change when they've decided I'm a trustworthy presence or do I need to be more proactive?

I hope I'm doing the right thing by them, so any advice welcome.

pipsqueak25 Mon 13-Feb-17 09:36:00

they are gorgeous !! envy , i get my piggies tame by having lots of handling, hand feeding and talking with them, smile - they live in the dining room, as they are able to see you and hear stuff they will get more attention than being outside all the time and get to know who feeds them etc so that will all help, gentle stoking and handling will help too
your set up sounds good, 'pootle around the kitchen' grin i like it ! they can free range if supervised. you sound like you are doing a great job with your girls, love the names, so cute !!
thanks for the pics ! smile

pipsqueak25 Mon 13-Feb-17 09:38:31

meant to say 'pop corning' is leaping into the air and springing about, means they are happy, your furry kids are telling you, you are a great fur mum and catering to their needs well.

FernieB Mon 13-Feb-17 16:24:02

Your set up looks great. A pootle round the kitchen is good too. I let mine do that every day for exercise and I put an old fleece blanket down with lots of box tunnels and houses for them to race round. They do run about for a bit. I would be wary of letting mine wander the rest of the house as they pee and poo freely and it would just be too messy. Don't worry about them not liking being picked up. My original pigs hated it and even after 5 years would still try to run away from me, but once on my knee they settled in for cuddles quite happily. It's just the picking up action they didn't like. My current two are quite lazy and just sit there and allow themselves to be caught (Madampig has only been with us a few weeks and has gone from hiding in terror to laziness in that time). I'd just keep picking them up for cuddles so they get used to it.

Sounds like you have turned into a piggie slave - your pigs will be very spoilt.

pipsqueak25 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:05:18

'madampig' love this name fernie ! grin

goodthinking99 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:46:03

Ah this is all good to hear, I'll try and getting the picking up action smooth and quick...at the minute I just seem to freak them out...despite the food bribery grin. We're off to the vets for a check up on Thursday so will have to get them into a box somehow. And I'm hoping the vet will trim their nails, I don't think I'm up to that yet at all!

I think I'm definitely their slave now...I'm worrying about being home late and getting stern looks from the pair of them. I would never have picked the piggies myself (it was DD and her classmate that sealed the deal, the classmate's new puppy had knocked them into second place and DD kindly offered a home) but now they are here I luffs their little hairy faces...and the smell of fresh hay (which is just as well).

I'll watch the boards for tips and hopefully they will be satisfied with their humans.

FernieB Mon 13-Feb-17 20:41:52

Nail trimming takes practice and a firm hand. It's much easier if they're pink clawed as you can see the quick so you know where to clip. If you do happen to draw blood from the nail (which I have done a few times with a black clawed wriggler), then you can quickly dip the claw in cornflour to help stop the bleeding. Also don't fret too much about it - it doesn't seem to bother them, but if you're anything,like me you'll feel guilty for agesblush

OneSockOn Tue 14-Feb-17 19:35:36

Your piggies are gorgeous! We've just got as well and they are delightful, so much fun!

fortifiedwithtea Tue 14-Feb-17 21:40:20

Aww beautiful piggies. you should give them Mumsnet names as well though to fit in with the crowd wink

There was a reason my Shai (RIP) was nicknamed Naughty Girl for MN purposes. I let her have the run of the kitchen and she got behind the tumble dryer and chewed the cable. Luckily it wasn't on at the time and DH was able to cut off the damage and re-attach plug and it still reaches the socket.

I think your set up looks great, your guineas are lucky to have found you smile

EastMidsGPs Wed 15-Feb-17 18:11:26

Oh gorgeous piggies.
They've landed on their paws😃

I've never mastered the art of nail trimming so we go off to see Dr Chris the vet. For 8 paws we are currently charged £12. It was £10 until recently
They also get a cuddle from the nurses and Dr Chris along with the opportunity to tell them how badly I treat them and how SS should be involved😉

goodthinking99 Wed 15-Feb-17 20:31:02

Am reassured to hear there are others who fear the nail clipping...I find it hard enough on DD and she listens to what I'm saying (occasionally grin). And their names are in constant flux...Dolly can be Cheeky Chops, Fluffball or Trumpton depending on what takes DDs fancy.

EastMidsGPs Wed 15-Feb-17 20:53:03

I learnt my lesson over names after my first pair of pigs. We called one Squeak EastMids.
At the vets DH was blush when her name was called out, we've stuck to human names since. smile
Sadie doesn't like her name and ignores it, DH calls her sweetheart and she clucks and chats away to him like mad in reply.
We did adopt one who came with the name 'Princess Caramel Barbie', but she quickly became Missy or Tig for short, not quite sure how that happened !!

FernieB Thu 16-Feb-17 15:00:13

We also have person names - there's no way I'm responding to 'fluffy' (or something similar) at the vets. My previous boys had old fashioned names and I felt as though I was bringing an elderly gentleman to the vet.

goodthinking99 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:33:27

We're off to the vets soon...I hadn't thought about being called in by name...maybe just as well they got new monikers when they arrived with us. I don't think I look like a Jaws grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now