Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit keeps eating all her bedding straw - help!

(5 Posts)
Babyiwantabump Sat 11-Feb-17 20:46:28

My rabbit keeps eating all her straw bedding- as a result she is now so fat she can't keep herself clean .

She is normally an outside bun but I have brought her in and cleaned her up and now putting her on a diet.

Anything else I can do?

She has hay and pellets and fresh veggies and has never bothered about eating her bedding before (mainly eats her hutch confused we are onto the 3rd or 4th now)

She lost her cage mate about two years ago now and I tried to introduce a new friend but that didn't work out - she didn't like it at all!

Why would she be doing this? What can I do to stop it? She doesn't normally like being in the house because of all the kids .

She's about 8 if that makes a difference.

Thanks

FernieB Mon 13-Feb-17 16:34:13

I'd stop putting straw in. My bun just has hay for sleeping and eating. I've never used straw.

FernieB Mon 13-Feb-17 16:38:03

She's a good age at 8. Are you sure the weight gain is down to the straw or could it be an underlying health issue? My boy is an older Bun and he has similar issues with his rear end. I have to clean him up sometimes now, but I think it's because he's an older boy and may be arthritic. I've just accepted that's the way he is now and as long as he's enjoying his life, that's fine by me.

Babyiwantabump Mon 13-Feb-17 16:54:05

The weight gain is definitely due to the straw as I basically packed the second floor of her hutch with it as she normally makes herself a little burrow out of it and she's eaten the whole lot!!

Will put extra hay in for bedding and try that - I'm just shocked as she has never shown much interest in eating her straw as she has everything else !

Could be her age as well I suppose . Might pop down the vets with her for a check over. She's nearly due her yearly check anyway.

reallyreallyreallytired Mon 13-Feb-17 16:57:40

Can you stop the straw and the pellets? Just put a handful in at bedtime if you must?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now