Talk

Advanced search

Poorly hamster :-(

(6 Posts)
DropZoneOne Mon 06-Feb-17 22:10:43

Our hamster is coming up to 2, has always been a lively lass. But since the weekend, she's been very quiet and tonight I found blood when I handled her.

I'll be taking her to the vets tomorrow, but I'm preparing myself for the thought that she might not make it through the night, or that it might be best to PTS.

I'm so sad at the thought, she's been a cheeky part of our life for two years and DD8 loves her to bits. I can't think about how I'll break the news to her.

CannotEvenDeal Mon 06-Feb-17 22:12:43

Oh no sad Where's the blood coming from?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 06-Feb-17 22:16:33

Sorry to hear this OP, tiny lives are still important. Hope she slips away in the night, if it's her time.

DropZoneOne Tue 07-Feb-17 22:02:03

Goodness knows how but she made it through the night so I took her to the vests this morning. By which point the bleeding had worsened and it was clear she had pyometra. The kindest thing was to put her to sleep, she'd weakened so much.

DD is upset, flits between wanting another hamster and wailing that she wants her hamster back. I know it's all for the best, but how I wish it was all a bit easier to deal with.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 08-Feb-17 10:34:54

Aww, poor little Hammy.
I'm so sorry OP, she had a great home with you, and was very loved.
It always hurts to lose a pet, there's no way round it, even more so when our children are involved.
I personally, would encourage her to get another Hamster. If you phone the nearest RSPCA, it's very possible, that they will have some in, for rehoming.
Unfortunately, Hamsters are one little creature, that people tend to hoard, or over breed. This would also be a lovely tribute to Hammy, and aid your daughters grieving. Hope this helps. 🌺🌺🌺

CannotEvenDeal Thu 09-Feb-17 20:31:34

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now