Talk

Advanced search

To leave pigs for 2 days...

(9 Posts)
Scattymere Thu 02-Feb-17 17:19:28

Hi all
i have 2 guineas- and we are going away last minute this weekend, we would be leaving Fri eve around 6pm when we would last feed them...coming back early Monday.
If I put their favourite parsley/spinach leaves in which they'd eat first, then and say 1/3 a cucumber, half a broccoli, several large carrots, 2 bowls grain and some hanging treats, water, with freshly made up cage and loads hay- do you think they'll be ok or should we search to find someone to come and feed them?

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Thu 02-Feb-17 17:32:02

I used to have several pigs in different pairs, I would say you definitely need someone to come by once a day to feed them and check they haven't run out of water as a minimum confused

FernieB Thu 02-Feb-17 18:00:30

You need someone to check on them. The veg you put in on Friday evening won't be particularly nice by Saturday evening and the hay may well have been wee'd on and not be good to eat either.

If you leave them with a freshly cleaned out cage on Friday evening, you just need someone to check on them each day and top up their food, veg, hay and water. It wouldn't take them long (unless they're like me and stay for cuddles!).

EastMidsGPs Thu 02-Feb-17 21:40:07

Local to us is a cat sitting business, they also include a piggie sitting service you might find similar - just visit once daily etc

We don't need such a service we've a close fully of little girls more than happy to ponder to our gps every need smile

Sweets101 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:43:13

I have a house bunny, I think you need someone to pop in to check and give a bit of fresh food. I wouldn't trust my bun not to gorge on the first day and anything left she'd turn her nose up after 24 hours.

gpignname Thu 02-Feb-17 22:10:39

It is not a good idea to leave for three nights in my opinion. One is okay, two in an emergency and if you leave lots of supplies. But three is too long.
You could probably get away with someone popping in just the once if necessary - either on Sat evening or Sunday morning. Presumably you have more than one water bottle, and a hay rack thing. I wouldn't leave too many carrots in one go.

But if you have to find someone in any case, see if they can come Saturday and Sunday.
If they are indoor piggies could they go in their cage to a friend's house for a visit?

Scattymere Fri 03-Feb-17 08:12:52

Thanks all- have asked some local friends and pigs will be looked after. Honestly I love the, have had pigs for 25 years and am a great pig mum, just stressed and not thinking yesterday hence why I asked you all for advice. Thanks for putting my stupid head straight, never worth the risk I know!

EastMidsGPs Fri 03-Feb-17 08:59:17

😃😃 you just temporarily forgot we are their slaves 😉

FernieB Fri 03-Feb-17 13:12:23

You should always ask the pigs permission before going awaywink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now