Talk

Advanced search

How are the littlies coping with the veg crisis?

(30 Posts)
TimeIhadaNameChange Mon 30-Jan-17 11:02:18

Went to the Co yesterday to do the weekly shop to discover no:
lettuce,
cucumber,
normal peppers,
tomatoes,
spinach,
broccoli,
cauliflower.

Apparently this shortage could last a few months! My wee ones are not going to be pleased. I fear the rabbits are going to get bored of cabbagem and the guineas are going to be squeaking their disgust at the change in diet. I think I'd better get some vit C tablets to up their intake.

FernieB Mon 30-Jan-17 16:04:16

I've so far not noticed any shortages in any veg. Hopefully there's no unpleasant surprises for me later this week.

starfishmummy Mon 30-Jan-17 16:16:04

Plenty of veg where I shopped today.

TimeIhadaNameChange Mon 30-Jan-17 16:19:26

Really? Maybe it's just the Co that's having problems. We're going tonight again but if not I'm going to have to get a Tesco delivery.

rightsaidfrederickII Mon 30-Jan-17 19:53:58

My local Sainsbury's had all the veg of a Venezualan convenience shop on a bad day... you're not the only one!

tygr Mon 30-Jan-17 20:39:02

No lettuce in my big Tesco today.

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 31-Jan-17 09:37:12

Went up yesterday and managed to get some cucumbers,cauliflower and baby sweetcorn but still no tomatoes and peppers. At least they won't starve now. (We're away from Thursday so really did need to stock up so that there's enough for the friends feeding them to give them. Didn't want them to have to go to the shops themselves as it's a fair trek.)

Mochasmumma Tue 31-Jan-17 09:45:38

We've been struggling to buy peppers which the baby pigs have not appreciated. Finally got some in Aldi, smaller than normal but better than nothing.

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 31-Jan-17 10:05:51

I got some fancy, horribly expensive, sweet peppers on Sunday. The only type they had in. Haven't tried the pigs with them yet as there's still one left from last week (and if I leave it it will become Old and thus Poisonous - not that they're fussy guinea piggies, you understand!). I'm just hoping they don't decide that fancy, horribly expensive, sweet peppers are the only type they will eat from now on, as they'll bankrupt us very quickly!

Luckily we're down south at the weekend so will have a choice of supermarkets to raid then.

Passthecake30 Tue 31-Jan-17 13:31:15

Only thing I can't find is courgettes and baby spinach (for me!)

Rabbits have kale, spring greens, celery leaves, brocolli stalks, cauliflower stalks, cabbage and parsley (when discounted to 10p!)

Passthecake30 Tue 31-Jan-17 13:31:46

Oh and cauliflower leaves and tops and bottoms of carrots. Basically all my offcuts!

Mochasmumma Tue 31-Jan-17 17:45:24

Found some spinach today in Lidl, they had quite a good selection of all veg to my surprise, our Aldi has been empty for a while. 3 very happy pigs are munching away in this house smile

EastMidsGPs Tue 31-Jan-17 17:53:32

We were worried about this as the girls are prone to go on hunger strike for the littlest reason.
Couldn't find parsley last Thursday, and we had much muttering and sulking. Friday found some manky stuff in the Co Op which was grudgingly eaten.
We've had no problems with salad and veg. Cucumbers were small tho.
We don't 'do' peppers or courgettes tho - both food hell according to Moll and Sadie
In anticipation of a drought DH has parsley growing in the kitchen ... sod's law there will now be plenty

FernieB Tue 31-Jan-17 18:41:19

No real shortages here just a sign in Tesco saying that due to supply issues purchases of iceberg lettuce would be limited to 3 per shopper. As iceberg lettuce is evil, we're not too botheredwink

EastMidsGPs Fri 03-Feb-17 13:43:28

No cucumber in Tesco!!!!

The world will end I tell ye.

Had to nip into M&S .. shock

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 03-Feb-17 13:55:27

DH did the PigVeg Shop at Asda yesterday (nearest supermarket on his way home , he says, it isn't and sells his favourite beer) .
He got loads - spinach, carrot, sweetcorn, kale, little gem lettuce.

Iceberg and brocilli shortages don't feature on their radars., they don't eat them.

And you can always get the grass scissors out they muse......

TimeIhadaNameChange Fri 03-Feb-17 15:16:33

Glad they're not suffering too badly, though a shortage of cucumbers is, indeed, highly worrying. Unfortunately our lawn is mud due to the hens and the fact half of it's been torn up for the new rabbit shed / pen. Whilst our neighbour thinks nothing of seeing us in his garden at random times of both day and night, trying to round up errant rabbits, I think he would raise his eyes at the sight of me cutting his grass with scissors!!!

EvansOvalPies Fri 03-Feb-17 15:24:55

I don't think there is a shortage of winter veg. So our rabbits happy with various brassicas or chard and a bit of carrot, sweet potato or turnip. They like apples and pears too, but can't eat things like lettuce, peppers and tomatoes anyway ( but we do, and I haven't noticed a shortage of them yet).

EastMidsGPs Fri 03-Feb-17 17:00:23

I have been out today cutting grass with scissors blush
It has been lovely and sunny tho.

Asda came good with the cucumbers

EvansOvalPies Fri 03-Feb-17 17:19:56

Oh, sorry - the title of the thread said 'littlies' - I assumed that meant all small animals. It seems this is only meant for Guinea Pigs. My 13-yr old rabbits go in the runs on the grass, we pull chunks up for them. We certainly don't snip bits with scissors.

Apologies for inadvertently encroaching upon a GP-only thread (there should be some sort of warning) angry

FernieB Fri 03-Feb-17 17:32:03

Evans - don't apologise, rabbits are totally included, being the superior small animal according to my Current Bun. He's been sitting in his big box in the corner today giving the piggies evil glares as they happily roam the kitchen.

Mochasmumma Fri 03-Feb-17 17:42:07

My cousin has incredibly spoilt house bunnies and she's considered going outside to cut them some grass, though she managed to get carrots and cabbage to stave it off, so even that isn't GP exclusive smile!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 03-Feb-17 19:07:06

Evans Small Pets can include all littlies -
indoor rabbits will make you get the scissors out if they could,
tortoises would come under 'Small Pets' (but might be hibernating)

Its just the Guinea-Slaves have too much time on their hands grin blush

EvansOvalPies Fri 03-Feb-17 20:29:23

grin 70s Fernie and Mocha
GPs seem a little more delicate than rabbits, then.

EastMidsGPs Fri 03-Feb-17 21:07:04

For more delicate read more fussy and demanding smile

Mine once went on piggie hunger strike because I bought the wrong sort of carrots hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now