Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think 2 year old rabbit is lonely

(21 Posts)
flumpsnlumpsnstuff Thu 26-Jan-17 21:52:10

So we have had a rabbit for 2 years, we went to get a fish confused
She was in the adoption area of PAH and looked miserable, they said other rabbits had roped off her tail and due to her being aggressive no one was likely to take her. Yes I'm a mug. I went home sourced a decent hutch and run and went and got her, she is a nightmare: eats anything we do, bounces up on to the table steals from plates, puts her head in my cup of tea, loves salt n pepper sneezes like a freak, growls at strangers, attacks cats, postmen the list goes on. I had her spayed and she didn't change, refuses to sleep outside or be out their unless we are out , kicks seven bells out of the hutch door until you let her in.
Anyway my point is she's now stealing teddies and smuggling them into her cage, we also have 2 robinski hamsters and she preens them through the bars and will nap next to them. Do I try and introduce another rabbit ? Is she lonely ? I do love her so I worry she doesn't seem happy
Any help ?

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Thu 26-Jan-17 22:46:51

Anyone ?

FernieB Fri 27-Jan-17 07:09:59

My previous housebun was a very territorial and aggressive female. All the behaviour you describe was fairly typical of my girl. She was also hugely intelligent and I was able to train her to obey several vocal and visual commands. Yours is probably equally intelligent. After two years alone, it may be difficult to bond her with another bun, although a rescue would be able to advise on that and help with the bonding process too. (Never go to a rescue that won't provide bonding help and definitely don't just get another rabbit and put them together).

The grooming thing and stealing teddies is fairly typical female rabbit behaviour. Mine would nest quite often (sometimes in a corner of the living roomconfused) and we'd find my slippers and once weirdly a barbie doll in there.

If she's active and interested in everything still, then she's probably okay, but if you feel she might like a friend you could always approach a local rescue and see if they'd be willing to let her try hanging out with a neutered male.

TheElephantofSurprise Fri 27-Jan-17 07:11:36

Search 'Rabbits United'. Everybun goes there.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Fri 27-Jan-17 10:05:55

Thanks for the replies, yes we have left it late as she seemed happy and we were warned she wouldn't tolerate other rabbits but I just feel she's a little lonely. She grooms me sitting behind my head licking my hairconfusedand is very very affectionate. I think you're right about being smart as she understands 'no' and responds when she wants to when her name is called. She has worked out by pulling open two draws she can climb onto the work tops and as of last week started chewing any cables she can find. I will contact the local shelter and see what they say.

EastMidsGPs Fri 27-Jan-17 17:41:41

I love the sound of your bun ..what a great personality🐇

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Fri 27-Jan-17 18:43:16

Spoke to local rescue and they invited me to bring her over to see them ( she loves car rides ) so we popped over this afternoon and they brought a very docile bun in for her to see, well it entered the room in a cage a my darling girl went ballistic growling and thumping. The lady said " I think that's a no "
Interestingly she did go over to the cat that lives in reception and gave it a preen. The lady thought because the cat only has 2 legs car accident she was more comfortable ( she attacks any that come in the garden at home) so for now she is staying an only bun.

FernieB Fri 27-Jan-17 19:26:43

Well you triedconfused. She sounds very much like my previous bun. When she went to the vet, she had no interest in and grunted aggressively at any other rabbit that happened to be there. She loved dogs though.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 27-Jan-17 19:29:33

She sounds awesome.

I'm also the owner of a lone psychopath bun. She had a friend. Once. Not any more.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Fri 27-Jan-17 20:06:26

She's currently sneak attacking me for a cuddle, so I think she will be okgrin
Here's some pics of her in mere cat mode

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 27-Jan-17 20:19:57

Awww, she's lush.

They don't need other bunnies. They can have hoomin friends.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Fri 27-Jan-17 20:38:32

I take it all back she's free to a good home angrylittle madam just stole my bloody jacket potato by jumping on to the plate and sitting on it whilst eating all my cheese and beans

EastMidsGPs Fri 27-Jan-17 21:03:53

gringringrin

TimeIhadaNameChange Mon 30-Jan-17 11:01:09

What a darling! I'd have her in a heartbeat but I don't think DP would want any more animals in the house and I already have 5 rabbits (they're outside - the house couldn't cope!!!).

I have had two housebuns and they've both been adorable, destructive wee things. I remember one nicking my peach when I offered her a mouthful - just grabbed it in her teeth and jumped off the sofa with it, then sat under the table making sure I realised how much she was enjoying it. It was the last one in the punnet so I couldn't grab another.

Oh, and the potato story reminded me of the time my previous rabbit jumped into my soup. I was in a hurry to eat before choir practise but thought it would be nice to sit on the kitchen floor with her to spend some time with her before going out again. I obviously didn't think it through, as she jumped onto my lap with delight. Then off again, quickly, as she didn't appreciate being covered in hot (luckily not too hot) liquid!

TheScottishPlay Wed 01-Feb-17 21:06:20

She sounds fab. A beauty too. We had a lone boy for 5 years - he was great company too.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Mon 20-Feb-17 22:24:51

Thought I'd give you all a laugh, so today my gorgeous bun was outside playing and I had the door shut as she knocks when she wants in.
The little sod played knock and run all afternoon with me hmm every time I opened the door she's legged it round the corner and is peeking at me like a naughty kid grin I love her really but she's started knocking on the bedroom doors when they are closed as well driving the dc mad

EastMidsGPs Tue 21-Feb-17 16:41:53

gringrin

TheScottishPlay Wed 22-Feb-17 13:33:29

grinstar

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Fri 24-Feb-17 19:26:26

Knock and run 🐰 is now her favourite bloody game and is being used when I'm in the bath or the kids shut their doors she thinks it's so funny you can see her trembling!

Blossomdeary Fri 24-Feb-17 19:36:17

We put a male guinea pig in with our male rabbit for company. The rabbit proceeded to bugger the poor guinea pig senseless. It was a challenge to explain this to my wee DDs!

When the rabbit died, the guinea pig suffered from dreadful constipation (not sure whether there was a connection) and my GP OH had to do a manual removal.

We have not had pets since.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sat 25-Feb-17 14:06:57

grin blossom that did make me laugh, bun doesn't seem to have any interest in friends other than stuffed ones now but even the she gets bored and rips their head off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now