Talk

Advanced search

Sad

(9 Posts)
pinkhousesarebest Thu 19-Jan-17 17:24:40

So after almost six years, our lovely rabbit has died. We found him this morning stretched out under the sofa with his head on his paws, looking like he was having a snooze. He had seemed fine last night except that he stayed under the sofa all evening. He was nibbling on an old piece of wood. So wish I had checked on him. It was cold here last night but he was inside and had his big furry blanket. We found him lying on the tiles though... Just want to understand really. Kids are devastated. Sorry am rambling. We loved him so.

FernieB Thu 19-Jan-17 17:30:44

So sorry to hear about your rabbit. They are lovely little things with fantastic personalities. Six is a good age for a bun, so he's done well. There's nothing you could have done. They are prey animals so hide any illness very well. It's lovely for him that he went quietly in his sleep at home. He may have chosen to lie on the tiles, so don't worry about that. Just think about the happy life you gave him and the funny things he did. Thinking of you flowers

pinkhousesarebest Thu 19-Jan-17 17:38:00

Thank you Fernie. I know you from other rabbit sagas. I am tortured now by the thought that I could have done something. But he was eating fine and seemed normal. Do they just pass away like that?

EastMidsGPs Thu 19-Jan-17 20:14:51

So sad to hear this
It sounds as if he had the life of Reilly and couldn't have wanted for more, happy, well loved and cared for what more could anybun want?
It sounds as if he simply died in his sleep head on his paws - would choose this way anytime
A very sad time for you all flowers

FernieB Thu 19-Jan-17 21:19:21

Yes they can go seemingly fast. As prey animals their natural instinct is to hide all signs of illness in case a predator is watching. There would be nothing you could have done, so don't torture yourself. Given his age it sounds like it was just his time. What a lovely way to go, under the sofa at home. It would have been very peaceful for him.

PurpleDaisies Thu 19-Jan-17 21:21:21

Aw bless him. flowers for you. It sounds like you have him a really happy life.

Wolfiefan Thu 19-Jan-17 21:23:16

Yes they absolutely can go just like that. Nothing could have alerted you. Nothing you could have done. He was lucky to have such a loving owner. flowers

tobecontinued2000 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:23:32

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I had house rabbits a few years ago and I came home from work to find my 8 year old rescue bunny dead.

She had been fine that morning when I left for work but they just slip away.

I'm sorry to hear that your bunny passed away, it's hard when you lose them.

pinkhousesarebest Thu 19-Jan-17 23:36:58

Thank you all so much. Such comforting words. The house is so empty without his gentle presence but I am glad he slipped away like this. He was very nervous and hated the vets. Can't believe our rabbit days are over...seems like yesterday that kids and rabbits were tiny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now