Talk

Advanced search

I think I might be allergic to our new rats :(

(14 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Jan-17 16:41:33

We have two new boy rats - they're fab. Had lots of advice on here before Christmas and we all love them!

I got a blotch on my stomach the day after they came home just after Christmas. Now I have blotches from my chest down to my thighs, front and back. They're not going away. I keep getting more! I'm itchy.

But... nothing on my arms or face, which is weird as when we take them out they run straight up your arm to your neck. I'm not sneezing. What do we think? I'm not getting rid of them either way but I've never had an allergy so not sure what to do! I really am covered in rash.

Help!

BembaNugget Sat 14-Jan-17 16:44:53

Why don't you try taking antihistimenes and using cream? Is there no way your partner could be the one to handle them?

BembaNugget Sat 14-Jan-17 16:44:56

Why don't you try taking antihistimenes and using cream? Is there no way your partner could be the one to handle them?

BembaNugget Sat 14-Jan-17 16:44:59

BembaNugget Sat 14-Jan-17 16:45:01

IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Jan-17 16:48:09

They belong to the DC so they do the vast majority of the handling. I clean out the cage weekly with the DC though, DH made that a condition of getting them which I don't mind.

I guess if I try antihistamines and it goes down I'll know it's the rats?

IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Jan-17 16:49:11

I just made DH sound horrible, he's not! He will take over I'm sure if it is the rats.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 15-Jan-17 00:08:53

I didn't touch them for 2 days this week and the rash didn't improve. Weird.

ijustwannadance Sun 15-Jan-17 00:22:32

Seems odd that the rash is on your torso and not somewhere that is actually in contact with the rats.
Have you changed shower gel or soap powder lately to one not used before?

Could the rats have some sort of mites?

IHeartKingThistle Sun 15-Jan-17 00:40:50

Urgh don't say that! Wouldn't the DC have a rash too?

Have changed shower gel. Will stop using it and see.

BembaNugget Fri 20-Jan-17 14:43:51

I apologise for the repeated reply. The app glitched out.
How did changing the shower gel go? Did you notice any difference?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 20-Jan-17 14:59:26

It's definitely the rats. Stayed away from them as much as possible for a week. Rash faded a bit. Held one last night as an experiment, he cuddled into my neck for about 30 seconds and I got a rash on my neck by the time DD took him back.

I need to try antihistamines don't I, when I'm cleaning them out? I'm really gutted, they are so cute and I want cuddles!

Footle Fri 20-Jan-17 15:31:58

Rat rash ! I can think of a simple solution...

BembaNugget Fri 20-Jan-17 16:53:14

Oh no sad
I'm really sorry! Maybe the antihistamines will mean you can hold them and have none of the rashes?
I have a rat myself (in the process of getting my second) and I know how much it must mean to you to be be able to hold them x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now