Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pigs weeing EVERYWHERE!!! Help!

(11 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Sat 14-Jan-17 14:51:26

Our piggies are now 18 months old, we've had them from 6 weeks old. They wee all over their hutch, in their bed area, near their food dish, just everywhere. I aim to clean them every 2 days, even in that short time their hutch is very wet. They're getting red feet even with the frequent cleaning. I was told by several people when I get them that piggies don't use a litter tray, unlike our rabbits and hamsters who always did. Has anyone used a litter tray with success? Any advice?

TIA

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 15-Jan-17 16:04:32

They do wee everywhere ...... some piggies will choose a 'corner' but no they aren't litter tray types.

What are you using in the bedding? Red feet -poor souls, they are very vunerable to things like Bumblefoot is their paws are urine soaked. Compare their skin feet and low slung bellies to a rabbits' fur coated paws and arched back raising their bellies off the ground. You can see what a poor design Guineas are grin

We do daily cleaning, nothing else works.
Indoors (they're in at night time for winter and in the day if its really rough) we give them puppy pads under newspaper (mine don't chew things thankfully apart from their cardboard boxes)

Outside they have wooden cat litter (Rodent safe) for cushioning with puppy pads/newspaper on top. Hay/straw.
Just roll up and dispose.

I do loo roll tubes in a shredder for bedding too

You can try:
Megazorb
Fleece with something absorbant
Auboise (hemp based equine bedding)

You might persuade them if you give them a corner with a soft absorbant bedding (but they might resist).
My GP4 sow pees as soom as she touches her feet to the bedding floor. She's the boss in her pair so she 'marks'

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 15-Jan-17 16:08:48

It might be worth buying some cream from Gorgeous Guineas (they do one for feet F&M Ointment for red or irritated skin) just in case .

MsAwesomeDragon Sun 15-Jan-17 16:17:12

We use washable incontinence pads under fleece, and wash it all once a week, although certain areas get extra pads which are changed more frequently as they are regularly used for weeing (and pooing!). We tried puppy pads but ours do chew and were working out how to get to the puppy pads no matter what we put on top.

We do have a "litter tray" but in reality it's just a place to put the hay, rather than an actual place where they go to do their business. It is a favourite place to wee and poo, but I think that's more because they spend a lot of time in there eating.

frazzledbutcalm Sun 15-Jan-17 22:29:12

Thanks for the replies.

We have a 5ft 2tier hutch, so they really have a lot of room ... but they literally wee in every part of it! I cleaned them out completely yesterday lunchtime - by this lunchtime their bed compartment has wee all over, a few areas of the top floor has wee and a more than a few areas on the bottom floor has wee sad

I've started putting sudocrem on their feet to act as a barrier from the wee.
We use shaving all over hutch then shavings and hay in their bed compartment. Yesterday I put a puppy pad in their bed with shavings and hay on top. Did this knowing it's not going to make any difference to the wee getting on their feet ... never even occurred to me to put shavings THEN the puppy pad blush

I'm just shocked they're happy to lie and sleep in their wee soaked bed! I put lots of hay in that area and I feel it's wasted as they just wee all over it and I then check it out.

So ... shavings, puppy pad then hay in bed area. I wondered if fluffy vet bed would be beneficial? The wee soaks through it leaving the vet bed dry.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 15-Jan-17 22:32:26

OP, have you checked with your vet that Sudocrem is ok for guineas? I thought you had to use medication especially formulated for small animals?

frazzledbutcalm Sun 15-Jan-17 22:36:32

Hi suburban ... yes it's fine to use. smile

Curlybrunette Wed 18-Jan-17 13:53:07

I do the same as Mrsawesomedragon, though I use puppy pads under the fleece.
I used to keep one end of the cage with just puppy pad and hay on top but recently changed to having 2 cat litter trays with their hay in and I have found that they now mainly wee in there. I have 3 pigs and am amazed sometimes at the sheer volume of wee they can produce.
I change the puppy pads and fleece once or twice a week now, but the litter trays get changed at least once a day, sometimes twice. It's much easier that way though than before.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 18-Jan-17 20:28:46

I might try a litter tray and see if they happen to use it. But the majority of their wee is in their 'bedroom' ... so not sure it will make a difference...

You're right about the volume of wee curly .. my 2 rabbits don't produce as much wee as my 2 piggies!

EastMidsGPs Thu 19-Jan-17 20:29:40

Ahhh eau d'guinea pig have to girls so I know it well !

Have no advice to offer, just wanted to commiserate smile

EastMidsGPs Thu 19-Jan-17 20:30:22

Two girls evev

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now