Talk

Advanced search

Lining piggy cage with newspaper

(9 Posts)
PandoraMole Tue 03-Jan-17 00:30:18

When we got our piggies we were advised that lining with newspaper wasn't a good idea as the printing ink could be toxic if they nibbled it.

We bought them a PiggiePod cage as felt it would be easier to keep clean but after 3.5 years it's looking pretty grotty. It's also not that great a design as the woodshavings and hay are constantly coming out of the bottom of the wire door which is pita to keep cleaning up.

Can anyone confirm if newspaper is OK for lining as would like to but them a new hutch and ensure it stays in better condition. Any hutch recommendations would also be great.

MrsEricBana Tue 03-Jan-17 00:36:42

Gosh I have never heard this and Mr F has been happy in his newspaper lined house for 4.5 years to date. I have never noticed that the paper has been nibbled. Piggie Pod sounds good - will look.

MrsEricBana Tue 03-Jan-17 00:43:41

We have a two tier Hutch 'n' Run which has been pretty good as different areas including downstairs. Only suitable for outdoor use as no basement- sits directly on the ground.

MrsEricBana Tue 03-Jan-17 00:44:09

No base!

FernieB Tue 03-Jan-17 07:23:16

My pigs and buns have always been on newspaper and have probably also eaten a fair amount with no ill effect. It's so much easier to roll up the paper and throw it out when cleaning them. I have a ready supply of broadsheets from friends and neighbours.

twocockersarebetterthanone Tue 03-Jan-17 07:24:45

Have always used newspaper and even puppy training pads and ours have survived 😊

NaughtyNiffler Tue 03-Jan-17 07:26:54

We use newspaper! They don't eat it at all! It mostly gets weed on!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 03-Jan-17 11:41:22

I use puppy pads well hidden under newspaper (to cope with the rivers of pee)
As long as you remove the staples they'll be fine. Mine like to eat cardboard boxes , such noisy fun at 3am , little swine.

There's much tastier things for rodenty teeth smile

PandoraMole Tue 03-Jan-17 17:23:28

Thanks so much (I'm Luna and Bellas human mum under a new name if anyone remembers us btw!)

I will give the pod a good scrub and start lining it with paper for the time being. We're living with my parents at the moment as H and I split last summer, so once DD and I have a new home of our one we'll sort one out for the girls too smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now