Talk

Advanced search

Horsefield tortoise

(8 Posts)
ilovesprouts Wed 28-Dec-16 16:27:04

Hi just wondering if any body had a horse field tortoise?

ConfessorKahlan Wed 28-Dec-16 16:31:41

Do you mean for sale or are you just looking for advice about them?

Chickydoo Wed 28-Dec-16 16:36:20

Had for years, what do you want to know

ConfessorKahlan Wed 28-Dec-16 16:44:00

I have a three year old female horsefield.

ilovesprouts Wed 28-Dec-16 18:06:58

Just bought one last week I'm on a few Facebook groups but so many ppl saying different stuff with foods housing etc

ConfessorKahlan Wed 28-Dec-16 18:46:11

You will love your tortoise! Many people do not realise that they have their own different charactres and are very entertaining to watch. Mine is three and she lives indoors all year. She does not hibernate as I heat up her cage to keep her awake. She lives in an indoor rabbit cage with a mixture of peat-free top soil and sand. She loves to dig and tunnel in it as all horsefields do. She has a ceramic heatlamp and a UV bulb to create hotspots. In the summer she goes out to visit the garden but only under supervision because we have a puppy. I feed her weeds from the garden and shop bought greens with calcium powder. She has a habit of climbing up the bars of the cage-it is incredible how good she is at climbing. I will try to post a picture of her cage tomorrow.

thestarryeyedsurprise Wed 28-Dec-16 18:50:15

Another horsefield owner here smile

Alfieisnoisy Wed 28-Dec-16 18:55:01

Horsefield owner here too

Mine eats from the garden during the summer and has salad stuff (not tomatoes) over the winter. I usually buy the Italian crispy mixed salad leaves and he loves them.

He hates my cats though and will chase them round the garden. He also hisses at me if I have to pick him up. Am assuming he hates me too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now