Talk

Advanced search

Why I love budgies

(8 Posts)
Lovepancakes Thu 22-Dec-16 17:07:26

I'm so keen to find other fans as they seem very under represented in this section for such fab pets. Ours belongs to DD (10)

Ours likes to kiss us all gently with his beak and calls when we leave the room or flies after us.

He bobs his head up and down to dance when music is on

He's a lot of fun and DD plays with him constantly; he loved balancing on a loom-band tight rope walk she made and dangling upside down

He sits on the tap waiting for his shower every morning and despite having one often also throws himself into the DCs bath with great happiness

He scuttles in a wonderful way when doesn't want to go somewhere

He's very clean and so easy

He's taken to the road now secure with us so seems happy travelling and even came to the pub

He's friendly to everyone and if anyone's reading lands on their book and bends his head over to look at pictures when a picture book

I always thought they were a sad sight in a cage but ours loves his cage as only goes in at night or when wants to for a nap / to eat. His poos are tiny and dry and don't make a mess

The only thing I'd add is I think making friends with a young budgie needs time and patience, and I wouldn't have got ours if I couldn't park him on DH's computer when I am out!

pipsqueak25 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:35:19

your little feathered friend sounds so sweet and clever ! i used to have a couple of budgies, she was quite shy but he used to shout for both off them !
step uncle had a talking budgie, he ran a betting shop in south london back in the 60's and the bird used to go to work with him. it learnt to talk alright but the speech wasn't repeatable grin he taped it once and it was swearing like a trooper ! grin

Lovepancakes Fri 23-Dec-16 12:12:43

smile Thanks for sharing that Pipsqueak - I love the idea of a swearing budgie!! (Although glad ours doesn't as might not be good for the DCs' vocabulary!

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 23-Dec-16 20:46:32

Budgies make brilliant pets. Ours used to play football with me and sit on my head. He used to put himself back in his cage when he had had enough and chirp until we shut the door. Same when he wanted to come out. The trick is to handle a lot when small and let them free range. Very bright and loving creatures.

pipsqueak25 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:40:17

chestnuts and love these heart warming accounts are making me seriously want to get a budgie again.

Lovepancakes Sat 24-Dec-16 14:34:42

Pipsqueak now we've discovered them I don't think we'll be without! The DC get all the affection they'd get from a dog (or almost , as he kisses them constantly!) but they are so cheap to look after, engaging and rewarding .
I'll attach a photo of ours on DS's head and reading with him

Lovepancakes Sat 24-Dec-16 14:37:58

Ours in an English budgie which is slightly bigger and the breeder said they tend to be more placid and friendly. She handles hers in a lovely way so as a young budgie he was already fairly friendly and tame but became even more so as he bonded with us

pipsqueak25 Sun 25-Dec-16 12:49:45

love thanks for the pics, so cute ! am def going to get one now in the new year, have been thinking about it for awhile now my mind is made up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now