Talk

Advanced search

Teetering on rainbow bridge

(9 Posts)
PurpleDaisies Sun 18-Dec-16 19:17:51

It looks like poor Mrs pig might not be long for this world. We knew she'd be a time limited piggy (kidney issues) but today we came home after lunch out and it look like she's had a little stroke. She's weak down one side and looking wonky when she walks. We've been out to the emergency vet who says she's not in any pain and since she actually looks very bright and is eating well we've brought her home for tonight. We're seeing our regular vet in the morning to decide whether euthanasia is kinder. She's currently cuddled up with the others looking comfy. This part of pet ownership is the worst. sad

FernieB Sun 18-Dec-16 20:26:31

Poor Mrs Pig, she has really been through a lot. Hope she has a peaceful night and all is clearer tomorrow.

They are little bundles of love and worry aren't they! flowers

PurpleDaisies Sun 18-Dec-16 21:10:38

I know! She's been so cheery and friendly through the whole thing it's just hard to know what's to do for the best. I've been out to the kitchen and she's run up to see me (and by that I mean see me with food!), albeit in a drunken fashion.

Thanks for the support. I feel silly being upset over a guinea pig but she's just so sweet.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 18-Dec-16 22:28:03

Oh MrsPig sad

If she's tilting , it might be an ear infection (like Head Tilt) which will make her a bit wonky.

You are right though, it may well be time to say "Enough" .
It is really better all round to make that most difficult decision and let her go in good spirit rather than linger.
Poor thing has been through the mill with her kidneys (and she had a limp too?) and you and your vet have done sterling work keeping her comfy and happy.
But has it got to the stage now where you think "Who am I doing it for"?

Are the other piggies rallying round her? They can get very possessive of their cagemates when they're ill.

Sleep tight and tomorrow, you will make your painful decision. Good Luck whatever you and the vet choose. (And don't they pick the most inconvenient times to be ill, little toads)

PurpleDaisies Mon 19-Dec-16 15:16:25

She's really rallied overnight and if we hadn't seen her yesterday we wouldn't have known anything extra was wrong on top of the kidney issue. It seems very much like a TIA.

The vet says since she looks so bright now it's probably not time for the hard decision. We'll see what happens now. Very glad she's still with us at the moment.

PurpleDaisies Mon 19-Dec-16 15:17:29

Are the other piggies rallying round her? They can get very possessive of their cagemates when they're ill

No, they're being just as much of a nuisance as normal! She's getting separate extra treats so they can't be nicked. grin

FernieB Mon 19-Dec-16 23:36:43

Mrs Pig does love to worry you. It's amazing how well she rallies, she really is a fighter. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas with all the pigs together.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 20-Dec-16 19:45:37

She's like a Phoenix rising from the flames grin

She's testing you , she'll pull out all the stops before Christmas just to worry you. (Our blardy cat did this, I was at the vets on Christmas Eve one year when her excema flared up.
"No wonder I'm stressed" she told the vet "She brought a...a thing into the house. It wails".
The vet did consol the moggy at the arrival of DS upsetting her applecart.

Bribe MrsPig with lots of nice things, parsley bells are a favourite here.

PurpleDaisies Tue 20-Dec-16 20:28:52

I know! It's a good thing we like her or she'd be out on her ear. She's eating really well and although she's still far too skinny she seems very cheery. Bloody piggies. They are such a worry sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now