Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think my Hamster is dying

(4 Posts)
PirateFairy45 Thu 27-Oct-16 16:09:29

Basically that. But I'm not sure really. She's 1 year and 9 months but recently has slowed right down, not drinking as much and is sleeping lots. It's been going on for around 2 weeks now, gradually getting worse.

She's still climbing and such but not with the same gusto as she used to. On her flying disc wheel she does go on it but where she used to go so fast that if she stopped she used to fling herself off it (hilarious to watch), now she's very slow on it.

She seems to have lost weight too, she was a little chunky but now she's slim. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but you can't always tell with these things can you?

I've read that they live between 1.5 and 2 years but different websites say 2 and 3 years.

If she is dying, what can i expect?

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 13:23:20

A healthy, well cared for syrian hamster should live a good 3 years. Dwarf breeds more like 4 or 5. Have you checked her teeth? If they are too overgrown and curling then she may be unable to eat. Scruff her just behind the ears and pull back gently to see them. If they look overgrown and are curling right inwards then a trip to the vet is in order. £15 is all it costs to cut them at my vets.

If it is illness like cancer or something she will probably just pass in the night but if you think she is suffering then a vet will put to sleep.

ILoveAutumnLeaves Wed 16-Nov-16 03:36:58

PF I think our wee girl is too. We've had her at the vets tonight, he thinks she has picked up a mite from the bedding. She's gone downhill very quickly. He put 'spot on' on her to get rid of the mite & gave me antibiotics to give her. He wasn't very interested though and hurt her picking her up, then peeling off some dry skin. I'm going to make an appointment with the Pets at Home vet in a couple of days (or sooner if she gets worse).

Another poster just suggested syring some water into her, so I'll do that in the morning. I don't know why the vet didn't suggest it.

ILoveAutumnLeaves Wed 16-Nov-16 03:37:54

She weighed 100g. I know she's thinner than before but I don't know how much she weighed before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now