Talk

Advanced search

Pts day

(17 Posts)
SnipSnapCrashCrack Thu 27-Oct-16 09:36:58

So after a week of trying to keep my little rat going on high calorie foods he's finally decided it's time to give up sadI am completely devastated and can't stop crying. He's not even 2 years old but he's always had breathing problems and up until yesterday he was still grabbing food and eating happily. Last night I tried to get him to take ham, biscuits, cookies, peanut butter on biscuits and eventually he licked some peanut butter and threw it away. He's been hanging his head over his hammock and I he keeps trying to barge out the cage which apparently means they need more oxygen. I phoned the vets and it's going to cost £30 to put him to sleep shockMy regular vets cost 16 but I don't think I can drive far after it's been done. I just hoped he would go naturally but he's now suffering and clicking with each breath. I cried down the phone when I'm trying to stay strong in front of my 5 year old ds. He doesn't know yet and his dad's going to tell him when I leave. My poor boys going to be so upset and Odies cage mate won't know what to do with himself. sad Just waiting for the "it's only a rat" comments to come in from family sad

lovelymcjubbly Thu 27-Oct-16 09:38:48

So sorry.

I used to keep rats and they make wonderful pets.

RattieOfCatan Thu 27-Oct-16 09:41:49

Oh bless you, we had to put our old boy to sleep on Friday and had been waiting for it for a long time, he had life-long respi issues too sad

They really do let you know when it is the right time don't they? Take care of yourself today, come home, have a sweet tea and give your DS and Odie's cage mate lots of cuddles. His cage mate will be okay for a few days with lots of cuddles and time out flowers

AutumnSunday Thu 27-Oct-16 10:44:31

So sorry you've had to make this decision but it really is the kindest way.

It sounds like he's had a beautiful life with you.

(((hugs))) flowers

FruitCider Thu 27-Oct-16 10:49:46

So sorry for your loss flowers it always hurts when loved ones are at the end of life, regardless of how small and furry they are. Your rat is lucky to have such a loving, receptive and responsible owner. You are doing the right thing x

SnipSnapCrashCrack Thu 27-Oct-16 12:47:28

The deed is done sad I managed to book in to the vets further away (and got told off for using more than one vet). I spoke to the vet and asked if there was something I could do to make him better but admitted I knew it was just prolonging the inevitable. He was jumping about when I got there and had a huge cuddle with me and then they took him round the back where apparently the nurses were making a fuss of him and cuddling him. They saw how bad his breathing was and even though he was very lively I think it was the right time to let go.
DS took it remarkably well and hasn't cried yet and then asked if he can see the skeleton hmm He has given Garfield his cuddly Peppa pig to cuddle up to and he will be getting lots of extra fuss and a huge amount of excessive. He's now just over 600g mainly caused by feeding his brother lots of high fat foods and peanut butter which Garfield would then take and eat in the corner. He seems to know something happened and is currently laying inside his hammock looking very depressed. He's never been on his own sad
Sorry for your rattie loss rattieofcatan for something so small they give so much sadblush

SnipSnapCrashCrack Thu 27-Oct-16 12:52:05

Here's a picture of him at his fittest, doing what he loved best smile

FruitCider Thu 27-Oct-16 13:13:09

What a cute boy! Sounds like you made the right decision. I'm sure his pad mate will get used to it in time x

FruitCider Thu 27-Oct-16 13:13:57

Pad mate?!??? I'm so so sorry. I work in a prison and use this term to describe "room mate" confused I didn't mean any offence!

RattieOfCatan Thu 27-Oct-16 13:21:28

What a beautiful boy! So sorry for your loss flowers Our Nibbles was the same when we took her to the vet the last time, active and cuddly still, it's nice to remember them that way than in a further deteriorated state.

Garfield will be okay for now on his own so try not to worry about him, just do lots of cuddles and out time in the mean time. I do hate to say it as it does feel like 'replacing' to an extent but it may be worth contacting breeders/rescues in the next week or two if you're planning to get a companion or two for him to get onto waiting lists, when Howl's brother died we did regret waiting so long in hindsight, especially as he went on to live another 11 months. He was okay for a couple of months before he started to get down.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Oct-16 13:23:17

Gorgeous boy OP. My first ratty died in my arms. I sobbed. And sobbed. And sobbed.
flowers

SnipSnapCrashCrack Thu 27-Oct-16 18:46:44

Just been and checked on Garfield again and he's still looking for Odie. I've given him some short cuddles but he just wants to go back in to his cage sadAlso noticed that he's started to do very short but quick hiccup type movements but without any real sound. I'm pretty sure he's done it before but I'm guessing he's having a uri flair up from the stress. I have 2 days of Baytril left and I'm wondering if the vets will just prescribe him some if I say he's showing symptoms without having to actually take him. I had the dog at the vets yesterday and odie today and I am completely skint now until next Thursday. I know my rats better than they do and I know he needs Baytril but they always seem reluctant to give more than 7 days worth even though I'd like to keep a larger bottle around. No idea what to do sad

AutumnSunday Fri 28-Oct-16 12:01:56

Snip, I'm so sorry for your loss, while it must have been hard you did the kindest thing. RIP Odie flowers

I don't know anything about Rats, sorry but hoping Garfield perks up. We have gerbils, one of which recently died under awful circumstances. I posted a thread about it. My two weren't living together as we had to seperate them but I know the remaining one knows he's not there anymore. They could still see and hear each other and I used to get them both out in the evening for a run, still separated, but they'd groom each others noses through the bars sad

One thing which did make me smile though was the comment your ds made about wanting to see the skeleton, my ds said exactly the same. He was upset, although we didn't tell him the circumstances in which we found him. Through the mouthes of babes eh.

Millimat Sat 29-Oct-16 21:25:35

Poor you, it's horrible. Our gp3 was pts one week ago today sad. Horrible horrible decision to make, but ultimately we knew it was the right decision. Next week we're going to get remaining gp a new buddy from a rescue.

SnipSnapCrashCrack Thu 03-Nov-16 20:11:17

A week on and Garfield is definitely struggling without his friend. I've only been able to take him out twice to play but I've picked him up a few times a day for a snuggle but he just doesn't want to sit on my shoulder or in my pocket. He looks so excited when he sees me and runs to the top of his cage to come out but once he's out he wants to go on the floor which isn't always possible with a dog. I feel like an awful owner. He's looking so old sad

RattieOfCatan Thu 03-Nov-16 20:50:50

Oh bless him, poor thing! Is there any chance you can source him a companion or two asap?

pipsqueak25 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:44:43

hope you are feeling ok, as for the 'it's only a rat' "well, actually it was a much loved pet, and i'm upset, it isn't funny to belittle my feelings "
had my g piggy pts this morning know how horrible it all is, even when you know you did the right thing for them. love the photos - a handsome lad ! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now