Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig bedding

(5 Posts)
SarDan123 Fri 21-Oct-16 11:36:52

Which is best for my guinea pigs cage. Fleeces or Sawdust. Ive always used fleeces till one of my boars passed away. People are telling me I should use sawdust as this soaks up the wee and poo more, even though I clean them out every two days. Which is best fleeces or sawdust please?

FernieB Fri 21-Oct-16 11:42:49

Personally, neither. I find fleece a pain to keep washing and sawdust just gets everywhere. I simply use a few layers of newspaper and put hay in their igloos. They need cleaning out daily really so it's very easy to roll up the dirty paper and discard it and stick a fresh layer down. It takes about 5 minutes each day and then once a week they get a 'proper clean' and the cage is wiped down thoroughly.

Luckily, friends and neighbours keep me supplied with newspapers so I have a ready supply.

FrickOnAStick Fri 21-Oct-16 11:44:37

Sawdust made my pig's feet sore and I don't find it great for absorbency or smell (they are indoor). We use carefresh or back to nature. I prefer the back to nature. No dust, cheaper than carefresh and good on odour/absorbency.

EvermoreEvermore Fri 21-Oct-16 12:39:39

I use Finacard and order just the maxibales online. Fantastic, less mess and odor!

pipsqueak25 Sun 23-Oct-16 16:47:25

i use straw and saw dust for my girls and clean out three times a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now