Talk

Advanced search

One of my guinea pigs died, worried for my other left behind

(25 Posts)
sarahdennett123 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:16:07

Suzi my 8 month old male Guinea pig died last night, of what seemed to be from a cold. It seemed to just come from nowhere. As my other male guinea pig is only 8 months old do I get another to keep him company. Im just scared he will fight it as he is the dominant one and but very timid when it comes to being held. Suzi loved being held. Im worried now that the Guinea pig left on his own may now die of a broken heart, as hes already wondering whats going on. Please help sad (my piggies are male, just have girl names)

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 18-Oct-16 09:32:12

Oh poor Suzi sad. Almost exactly the same thing happened to us, we had two brother Guineas and without warning, one of ours died after a ten months. It's a horrible shock to find them lifeless in their hutch, I felt really upset, so flowers for you.

I thought our remaining pig would be lonely but he soon got used to being on his own. The petshop advised us that it would be difficult to introduce a new male into his hutch and we could end up having to separate them if they fought, so we haven't bought him a companion. But he seems happy enough.

sarahdennett123 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:39:11

Thank you that makes me feel more positive. losing Suzi really upset me so losing Sophie too will be devastating. Sophie is a strong willed Guinea Pig and was always the boss hee hee so hopefully he will overcome his loss and be ok like yours. Fingers crossed

Thunderblunder Tue 18-Oct-16 09:42:14

One of our female gp's died a couple of years ago leaving one on their own.
We bought a cuddly toy from the dog toy section of our local pet shop that most resembled the shape of a gp and put that in with her. She loves cuddling up with it to go to sleep.

sarahdennett123 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:44:30

That's a great idea! as my two always cuddled up to each other at night. Ill go get something, anything to help poor Sophie cope

WalterWhitesNipple Tue 18-Oct-16 10:04:57

This happened with our genuine pigs when I was younger, we bought another one and they got along fine smile

FernieB Tue 18-Oct-16 12:08:56

Sorry to hear about Suziflowers. Poor Sophie will be a bit lost as they are herd animals and prefer company of their own kind.

Given that Sophie is only 8 months old, he could live another 5-6 years which is a long time to be solitary, especially if he's an outdoor pig. If he's indoor, then at least he gets the noise of the house and you can give loads of attention. Having said that, I would get him a friend, but definitely not from a pet shop.

There are many piggies languishing in rescues. As Sophie is 8 months he's at a slightly tricky age as he's pretty much adult, so may resent another adult pig. You may find a baby boar could be accepted by him. Don't get one from a pet shop - most will not allow pigs to bond with each other before purchase. Go to a rescue - they will advise and also supervise the bonding process. Sophie has to choose his own friend. The other option is to neuter Sophie and then get a female.

There are many great rescues out there who would help you with this and allow Sophie to spend time with a few piggies to find his new friend.

FernieB Tue 18-Oct-16 12:10:55

If you let us know roughly which area of the country you're in, we may be able to help with rescues.

Also still put in something with Sophie for snuggles - a balled up pair of old socks works well.

PersonUnknown Tue 18-Oct-16 12:14:27

You could get a neutered female? Your male is more likely to accept a neutered female.

I'm in the same boat with one of my female pigs dying this week and leaving a lonely girl behind.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 18-Oct-16 12:26:56

I didn't think of getting a neutered female as a companion. Is it still possible to introduce one to my male guinea after he's been on his own for a few months or will he be too used to having the hutch to himself now?

PersonUnknown Tue 18-Oct-16 13:58:10

I think it's still possible. Rescues will let you bring your pig for a meet and greet to see if they get on.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 18-Oct-16 14:15:45

Thanks for the tips. Will look into it.

celeste83 Tue 18-Oct-16 14:23:44

Difficult one. Guinea pigs notoriously like companionship but yes introducing a new male would be bad news too. Good idea re the neutered female. Thats the way i would go with this too rather than leaving a lonely guinea pig.

mumofthemonsters808 Tue 18-Oct-16 14:24:52

My Guinea Pigs are 6 now and I'm wondering what I will do when one of them dies, will the other one survive on its own ?.

Ollycat Tue 18-Oct-16 14:30:15

I'm so sorry about Suzi - we have two female GP's and I love seeing them running around squeaking.

Millimat Tue 18-Oct-16 22:12:11

I'm currently searching rescues as gp3 is going downhill fast sad and we need till think about both GPs quality of life. I don't like the thought of our other one being on his own so have a visit to a rescue planned as we're thinking gp3 won't be with us much longer sad
Poor GPs need a friend imo.

agnesf Tue 18-Oct-16 22:35:30

We had our lone boy (approx age 3) neutered after his brother died and matched him up with a friend's lone female. He had several happy years with her, died and she is still going strong - now part of a 3 girl herd.

Maybe castration is the way forward for Sophie .... Its not too pricey and apparently they don't lose any of their manly urges as a result - just avoids zillions of mini pigs. (Trying hard not to make any comments about non binary names but failing grin)

sarahdennett123 Wed 19-Oct-16 09:33:42

Im in the Nottinghamshire area. Any ideas of where I can contact a rescue place and try to get a neutered female. Think they maybe my solution

sarahdennett123 Wed 19-Oct-16 10:46:36

The rescue places around me don't agree or have neutered female GP's, so maybe the way forward is pay and have Sophie neutered?

sarahdennett123 Wed 19-Oct-16 10:47:26

Sophies a boy by the way hee hee incase im confusing anyone smile

sarahdennett123 Wed 19-Oct-16 11:53:44

A rescue place suggested trying to home Sophie with a younger male GP so he wont see him as a challenge and fight with him? option?

EastMidsGPs Wed 19-Oct-16 16:43:40

Hi Sarah have you tried the rescue at Bramcote off St Michael's square?
Or there is Avalon in Wollaton.
Have used Bramcote in the past and she encouraged pig dating. I think she takes piggies in for the local RSPCAs. Both rescues gave websites. And sometimes Pets @ Home near the huge Sainsburys and PC World at Castle Marina have older returned pigs for adoption.

Millimat Thu 20-Oct-16 06:45:20

We're doing the piggy dating thing to boar match. Dcs won't let gp1 go through an op even if I thought it was a good idea as that's what made gp3 deteriorate sad

EastMidsGPs Thu 20-Oct-16 08:02:22

I've only ever had girls. First two were youngsters from a pet shop, bought by DH to give me a purpose during a long and arduous period of ill health. Best present ever!!
But of course they never live out their lives at the same rate .. so then have kept finding myself with an elder stateswoman in need of company ... they always seem so depressed when their friend dies .. so off I go again ... needing a new piggie
I have generally been able to find a friend from a rescue around a similar age .. and compatible ..
However as we were on holiday when Old Sophie died we had to go to a pet shop and we currently have a youngster - Sadie alongside middle aged (coming up 5) Mollie. It was a bit traumatic for Moll when Sadie was a boisterous youngster and we had a lot of hmmhmm 'are you still here' smile it quickly settled tho.
The main thing we seem to have with these 2 is neither want to be the dominant one, so they never appear to make their minds up or make a decision!
However depending on when Moll leaves us .. I may learn towards a neutered boar .. I 💖 70s Bert and FernieBs Scruffy and Gingerpig grin

sarahdennett123 Thu 20-Oct-16 09:24:30

Thanks EastMidsGPs, I will have a look at there websites now and see what I can sort. I think Pig dating is what im going to do for poor Sophie.
Thanks everyone for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now