Talk

Advanced search

Cost of veterinary care

(10 Posts)
tempersflaring Fri 30-Sep-16 07:22:51

I use companion care vets in pets at home and I am having ongoing issues with one of my pets. I stupidly didn't insure her (I have now) and I've already paid £500 in 2 weeks of intensive care & hospital fees as she's been at deaths door.
Thankfully she's turned a corner but still has an issue which will require an X-ray in the next couple of days and I was just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head how much that will set me back as I can't claim on the new insurance?
Thank you.

FernieB Fri 30-Sep-16 10:42:38

What kind of pet is it? The costs vary dramatically according to the animal.

tempersflaring Fri 30-Sep-16 10:45:30

It's a rabbit.

FernieB Fri 30-Sep-16 11:03:53

It can be up to £100 for X-rays. I paid £50 ish for a guinea pig a few years ago.

tempersflaring Fri 30-Sep-16 11:44:42

Thank you that's not too bad then. I'm expecting an X-ray & then a small operation so hopefully that'll be the end.

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Wed 05-Oct-16 06:51:33

I wish we could insure guinea pigs- think we'd have been better off.

EastMidsGPs Thu 06-Oct-16 17:42:18

I often think that Still
I wonder how much take up there would be? Sadly I think a lot of piggies live pretty miserable lives and their owners don't notice when they are off colour.
Our vet which is very reasonably priced and doesn't take money off you if they think there's little hope, offered a Guinea pigs MOT month once, they had 8 takers, we being one if them .. and as we have regular MOTs anyway, the month just happened to coincide with a planned visitgrin

FernieB Fri 07-Oct-16 19:24:53

Agree with that. Rabbits are often neglected too (as mine will tell youconfused). Our vet does free bunny MOTs during Rabbit Awareness Week every year. There are very few bunnies that go. Current Bun is made to go, despite '^already being fully aware he is a rabbit and not needing to be poked, prodded, have his teeth examined and a cold stethoscope on his tummy to make him realise that^'. He hates Rabbit Awareness Week.

The pigs love the vets. Any excuse for painkillers and to whinge to a professional about how badly they are treated at home. Mine have an annual onceover, but would prefer weekly if up to them.

tempersflaring Tue 17-Jan-17 15:53:15

£1500 later and she's absolutely fine. 2 operations and a stay at the vets house but it was worth it as she's a right charmer. Lives inside and has a huge space all to herself with lots of visitors. All insured now too.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 17-Jan-17 22:10:11

Ouch that's a fair old whack of a vets bill but bunny will be glad she's got you as her owner to value her highly.
shamrock <clover and recuperate now Rabbity One.

When we had GP1 and GP2 I looked online for insurance but it was ££.

GP3 was £58 to (elective surgery) neuter.
GP5 was £22ish for a consulation and medication (inc teeth file) then £25 to have her PTS.

Our pigs love a whinge at the vets to proclaim how badly treated they are, but he's not convinced.
He said GP6 was a "noisy chap" (Yes, he was the noisiest piggie in Rescue grin ) and asked when GP5 left us if GP6 would be alone.
GP6 did his best "For heavens sake I have another three of these (sows) at home" look,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now