Talk

Advanced search

What softer food do your guinea pigs like?

(15 Posts)
Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sat 24-Sep-16 17:30:40

Following on from another thread, poor gp3 is still struggling to eat after he had his teeth cut back sad I'm still feeding him critical care but he's now trying to eat. His front teeth are now ok but he can't really chew as the molars are still too short angry
He can eat banana, strawberry, melon and cucumber but I'm conscious they're high in sugar. Amy other suggestions?

FernieB Sat 24-Sep-16 19:16:00

Cucumber's fine as is tomato. How is he with grass or herbs? Poor thing, hope he perks up.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 24-Sep-16 21:38:02

Cucumber middle is very soft and refreshing (not high in sugar like the fruits are)
Finely chopped grass
We grate carrot and turnip if they can't chew

the leafy bits in herbs , not the stalks

Poor StillPig .Keep eating little piggie.

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sat 24-Sep-16 22:13:26

He's probably choose cucumber over all the others luckily - I remember reading to be careful over the high water content, but tbh he's eating it and at least I know he's getting fluid. I've chopped up grass but he can't manage it yet, and same for grated veg. He's munched on parsley very very slowly. Likes the inside of tomato and tonight I peeled a grape for him!

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sat 24-Sep-16 22:14:40

I did debate putting chopped up raw veg in a blender thing? Is that really daft of me?

Helloooomeee Sat 24-Sep-16 22:16:23

Not daft at all. I fed my poorly rabbit baby food!! blush

finova Sat 24-Sep-16 22:21:51

Peeled satsuma segment?
Ripe plum

Still a bit sugary....

EastMidsGPs Sun 25-Sep-16 14:22:34

Mind love green grapes. Sadie likes blueberries and you can easily squeeze these to mush.
We've pureed food in the past and sort of given shoved it in the mouth with our finger
Keep eating little one, you've been to the vet so you are over the worst ..think of the lovely grass waiting for you

jwww Sun 25-Sep-16 17:59:58

Have you tried with the dried food? My hamster has her teeth cut back every 3 weeks due to them curling unnaturally and she goes straight back into her normal food.
Have you tried soaking the dried food in water to make them mushy?
If your blitzing food to make it mushy then use kale and red pepper as that's really good for Guinea pigs (more kale than pepper)

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sun 25-Sep-16 21:25:07

He is attempting nuggets so that's a good thing. I just feel sorry for him out in the run when he won't even try to eat the grass sad

Lifebeginsatforty Wed 28-Sep-16 08:20:47

Has he got painkillers? If he's still in pain, it will put him right off eating. How many days is it now? Maybe give the vet a ring, explain the problem, and ask how long before he should be eating properly- if you cut up hard veg very fine or grate it, he should be attempting it.

jwww Wed 28-Sep-16 10:08:30

I've just had a look through and people have been suggesting citrus fruits like peeled oranges please don't feed them these x

booellesmum Wed 28-Sep-16 18:14:36

Ours love peppers. Hope your GP is ok soon.

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Thu 29-Sep-16 22:37:42

Got another vet appointment for the weekend. Costing us a fortune!!
He's still not attempting grated food. On a positive note he can't get enough of critical care!!

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Mon 03-Oct-16 16:10:34

Poor little piggy still no better. He's eating the critical care from a syringe but vet thinks there's nerve damage which could take months to heal.
We're giving him another week to see if he'll start eating independently. If not we need to look at his quality of life sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now