Hamster escaped and ate washing powder

(5 Posts)
PhyllisWig Sun 28-Aug-16 21:05:12

She escaped almost 2 weeks ago and turned up today in the bottom of the washing powder box (one of those huge ones which is kept on top of the washing machine - quite a shock when I put my hand in to get the scoop...).

She had powder all around her bum and paws as well as small cuts all over her paw. She was okish in herself. She happily had a cuddle and was alert and running around a bit. However, she was skin and bone and I had to wash her off as the powder had got matted on her belly and around her bum. I know washing is a last resort but this was the only way to get stuff off her.

She went back in her cage, ate a grape and some dry food and had a HUGE drink. She's back in her nest and asleep now. What do we think her chances are? I know she wasn't in the washing powder for days as we used it yesterday but I'm guessing not good?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Aug-16 21:55:03

Poor soul shock

How much (if any) could she have eaten? Were there droppings in the powder to indicate how long she'd been there?

My guinea pigs would happily eat the cardboard box but they'd shirk away from anything like detergent (and they're as thick as mince TBH )

Drink-good
Eating-good
Sleep-good

Does she eat anything like grass or hay to give roughage and get her insides moving?

My mice escaped for a weekend , larking about in my bedroom, luckily for them (I was 17 ish) I was very untidy , they found a digestive biscuit, but one drank nearly a teaspoon of water when we caught them.

The matting was probably her pee dissolving the powder and it clogging her fur.
Hope she's ok.

PhyllisWig Sun 28-Aug-16 22:04:25

Thanks 70

The grape should get her going I hope. No wee or poo in the powder so I hope she wasn't in there too long.

We'll have to cross our fingers.

Catzpyjamas Sun 28-Aug-16 22:09:16

I'm not sure how well it will work in hamsters but I know that if a dog has eaten something dodgy, burnt toast is often advised. Might be worth a try?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 29-Aug-16 09:24:29

How is the little Escapee this morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now