Very itchy guinea pig - help!

(9 Posts)
hiccupgirl Sat 27-Aug-16 08:25:22

One of my piggies has got mites really badly - we came back from holiday to find her in distress.

The vet has started treatment with injections to get rid of the mites but she is so itchy and stretching herself till she bleeds. We tried putting an adapted sock on her but that didn't work and she just got really upset.

Are there any creams or a bath that might help her while the treatment is killing the mites? I wondered if aloe Vera gel might help but don't want to stress her out if it's not going too.

RowenaDahl Sat 27-Aug-16 08:29:32

Antihistamines?

My sister gives one of her dogs Piriton for a grass allergy. Obviously, you need to check if that's okay for a pig and the dosage!

hiccupgirl Sat 27-Aug-16 09:38:19

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. I'll check with the vets but they didn't suggest it yesterday making me wonder if it's not suitable for piggies. Tbh I think the vet was convinced she was going to keel over in the surgery as she was getting so stressed with the whole visit and injection.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 27-Aug-16 10:37:27

GorgeousGuineas sell treatment or moisturising shampoos and melts but you need something quickly.

Mites can cause horrible stress for guineas, the constant itch/scratch/itch , they can end up having seizures if its not treated sad

The injection will take effect but for the skin, if she doesnt mind a soothing bath, you could let her just sit in shallow warm plain water while you scoop it over her with a cup. Only if you think she's up to it.
Then apply some light edible oil (almond, vegetable) onto her damp skin (so if your pig or her cagemates groom, the worst they'll ingest is oil)
Light touch just massage a few drops into her fur then let her dry indoors.

What hay are you using?
You are best to start afresh with a new batch.
I bought some hay from a different shop (I usually buy The Range or Jolleys) but I had run out and got some elsewhere.
My DD phoned me at work to tell my that my Himalayan had "things" in her fur, and her two cagemates too.
I don't know what they were, but we think they were lice. They just appeared, the only thing that changed was the hay, but my other group of pigs were fine confused

We washed them (I had some GG melt) and for good measure did their Xeno 450 spot treatment (I usually do this every 3 months).

Its no wonder the poor soul was stressed at the vets, they don't like injections sad. The itch/scratch/itch will drive them batty.
Its easier to deal with pain than itch which is why we scratch till the point of blood.
Light oil will stop her claws getting a grip........but she'll look a state and need another bath when you get the shampoo.

Good luck.

Mausageandsash Sat 27-Aug-16 10:41:07

Poor piggie, ours had this and she had some liquid we had to put on her, you just have to wait for it to kick in. If she gets it too badly though she could have a seizure poor thing sad

hiccupgirl Sat 27-Aug-16 14:47:29

Thanks everyone.

My friend (fellow piggy owner) has ordered some creams from Gorgeous Guineas but we're waiting for them to arrive at the mo. I go some aloe Vera gel this morning and that seems to have soothed it a bit for now - she was happy for it to be put on gently, purred quite happily, and has been stratching a bit less. I've just put new hay in the cage as the vet advised bringing her inside to avoid fly strike in the open wounds. I'll try a cool bath later on and see it that helps - would some oatmeal in it be soothing? And veg oil is a great idea though she will look a state!

The vet is great and very thorough but she does tend to go into panic mode. She went on and on about one of my cats hyperventilating last time I took her in - poor cat had been stuck in the box for 30 mins waiting in the heat and then had a thermometer stuck up her bum. I'm not surprised she was stressed out and she never behaves like that at home!

hiccupgirl Sat 27-Aug-16 14:49:13

Just to add she is eating and drinking fine (and standing up to her sister who is very bossy) so seems ok in herself at the mo.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 27-Aug-16 15:17:47

Your piggie will not be her glamorous best at the moment, oatmeal (you can put some in a muslin or hankerchief and let it swirl in the water) will be fine (and safe if they groom)
The oil is just a few drops on the dry bits (one of my pigs had a dry bit behind the ear, the oil helped but he did look deep fried )

Eating and drinking - Good Signs.
Maybe hay in a rack or a looroll tube to eat and a towel or fleece to sleep in so she doesn't overheat.

hiccupgirl Sat 27-Aug-16 20:03:38

Piggy has had an oatmeal bath and more aloe Vera gel put on. She was not very impressed and tried to climb out of the bowl but put up with it and seems less itchy again. She's eating and drinking as normal so fingers crossed it's up hill now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now