Talk

Advanced search

Mixing Guineas?

(11 Posts)
ElizabethJeanMcBricker Fri 12-Aug-16 19:07:18

Hello,

I'm very excited to have taken on a beautiful male guinea who needed to be re-homed, and wanted to ask about finding company for him.

I have two female Guinea pigs and my new boy has fallen head over heels for them ... But I wanted some advice on whether I should introduce them (after he gets the snip) or if I should try to rescue another boy for him? He had a brother who died a few weeks before I got him, so he's used to company.

Thank you!!smile

EastMidsGPs Fri 12-Aug-16 21:08:22

70 is the one you want for advice. Reckon she'll be along at some point. She can tell you all about her mixing Bert 💖 and his herd 😃

ElizabethJeanMcBricker Fri 12-Aug-16 21:15:42

Thank you!! I've been reading this board in gleeful anticipation of my new (handsome) arrival and noticed that username a lot! grin

It's been lovely reading about so many posters' pigs!

EastMidsGPs Fri 12-Aug-16 21:22:07

I've only ever had girls so am no help at all 😃
Although since visiting here I long for my own little herd (even have names ready for my future boar(s) ) sadly currently DH is firmly in the NO camp and is proving difficult to budge 😃

ElizabethJeanMcBricker Fri 12-Aug-16 21:51:35

Oh no! Who could resist the thought of a new pig?
Maybe subtly put pics of cute guineas on the fridge etc? grin

FernieB Sat 13-Aug-16 06:22:52

Introduce to the girls after he's been snipped. In the meantime keep him within sight and sound of them for company and so they get used to each other. It can be difficult to match up boars (really the best way is a baby boar with an older one). If you decide to boar match then go to a good rescue and let your boy choose his own friend - you don't want to end up with boars that don't get on. But I'd let him have two wives - he'll be very happy and they'll keep him in linewink

ElizabethJeanMcBricker Sat 13-Aug-16 09:06:02

Haha! He would love two wives - I've put his run next to theirs and he just sits and stares longingly at them!

Thanks for the great advice, might make a vet's appointment once he's settled in and then see how they get on. Thank you!

FernieB Sat 13-Aug-16 10:12:01

Bear in mind he'll need to stay apart for about 6 weeks after the snip just to be on the safe side wink

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-Aug-16 21:57:09

(Been away looking after human family, the pigs have been abley cared for by DD)

We had GP3 originally (when he was bereaved) and got our GP4 and GP5 to side-by-side while he was neutered and went sterile.
We did the whole Neutral Ground (paddling pool) with a big Salad wedding Cake and baths to formally introduce them.
Our sows were feisty Rescues, both more than equipped to take on GP3.

When he died , the girls had each other for 3 months until we got GP6 because there was just something missing (A Lardy Boar).
They ate, peed,poohed,were cuddled, but didn't utilise all their space, just seemed to hang out in the haybox.
GP6 came ready neutered (2 weeks post op) so after 4 weeks he joined the sows (bath, neytral ground etc)

Unfortunately, our newest girls (GP7 and GP8) haven't joined the Herd but I think it's the very strong characters of GP4 and GP7 (two large tri colours) who don't gel.

So GP6 has his wives (they live as a trio) and his ladies in waiting (as a duo) side-by-side.

Boars are lovely and snuggly and he'll love the company of the sows. (It's the sows that are more of a challenge grin )

Neutering does carry risk of course but do check that your vet is experienced in small animal castration (they'll neuter more rabbits than guineas) , have a check up done to make sure he's physically fit and he can wave his 'bits' goodbye and prepare for his new life.

He can side-by-side until he's sterile then he'll be very familiar with the sows when they meet.
Our boy Bert highly recommends married life (he was a brother:brother pair but they fought and were seperated)

ElizabethJeanMcBricker Mon 15-Aug-16 10:12:34

Thanks for the advice (your GPs sound wonderful!), I think I'll speak to the local vet soon. I didn't realise he would need a few weeks after to become sterile, I assumed it would be more or less straight away ... That would have been a shock! grin

I feel bad that he's trying to bite through the bars of his run to get to the girls so I'm keen to try and get this done soon.

Thanks again everyone flowers

fortifiedwithtea Mon 15-Aug-16 13:41:32

Boars do fall heavily in love with sows but the sows can be a bit meh we'd rather see an open fridge door than a male.

I had a trio side by side. My boar was too old to neuter. Yes he broke his teeth off twice trying to get to the girls but the good news is they grow back really quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now