Talk

Advanced search

Emergency piggie accomodation needed!

(12 Posts)
Bearsinmotion Sat 06-Aug-16 17:49:55

So I have three baby boy piggies reserved, yay! But the sanctuary will only reserve for 3 days, by which point I need "proof of accomodation", i.e. a photo. Now, my plan was to get a smallish pets at home style hutch initially (which would become their travel home for weekends away!) and order a C&C cage which would arrive in a month. But now I need a 180 x 60 hutch by Wednesday! Where can I get a nice big indoor home for 3 piggies delivered by Wednesday?

fortifiedwithtea Sun 07-Aug-16 03:51:48

Can't help you with hutch.

Replying to help you and piggies save heartache further down the line. A trio of boars very rarely get on. Once boars hit the teenage stage of 6-9 months fights break out. Best bet for harmonious boars is a pair of litter brothers and even then long term friendship is not guaranteed.

If you want a trio of guineas, choose sows far more likely they will bond well.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Sun 07-Aug-16 03:55:16

Amazon

Bearsinmotion Sun 07-Aug-16 06:32:54

Sorry to hear that fortified. These are rescues, a litter of a sow and three boars, so don't want to leave one boar on his own (sow baby is being rehoused with the mother). So we don't particularly want a trio, we were looking for a pair of boars or 2/3 sows but it seemed the best option for them?

Re Amazon, can't find the size (single storey indoor, at least 180 x 60cm).

almostthirty Sun 07-Aug-16 06:43:49

I wouldn't worry too much, I've always had 2 or 3 boars with no problems, they just need lots of space.
Could you try a face book selling site ?

Artandco Sun 07-Aug-16 06:45:40

I'm afraid I would leave these ones and wait until everything is research and bought first. Like others mention, 3 males may not be the best combination

180 x60 is a very very small cage for three animals also

Many people with Guinea pigs have open top type cages. They can't climb so as long as you have no other pets that could eat them then they look to be the biggest and cheaper option

Artandco Sun 07-Aug-16 06:47:50

Something like this is good as you can add as many sections on as you like to make it bigger

www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Midwest_Guinea_Habitat.htm

Bearsinmotion Sun 07-Aug-16 07:39:06

That's what I was aiming for Art, these are the C&C cages:
candcguineapigcages.co.uk/standard-cages/

I was going to get a 5x2 (185x77) and add a loft space when they are older and less skittish. Problem is if we order now from C&C it won't be delivered until September. Perhaps the MidWest is just as good, but C & C is the most recommended.

I should stress, I'm not new to piggie ownership, we had our own boar trio a few years ago. There were fights and we ended up separating their homes but they still came out for daily playtime together. They weren't litter mates though.

CatchingBabies Fri 12-Aug-16 19:07:36

Ferplast 120 is £40 on offer from zooplus, maybe get 2 and join them together?

Bearsinmotion Fri 12-Aug-16 20:56:58

Went for a massivepets at home cage in the end as it was the only one we could get in the time frame. They are settling in nicely though!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-Aug-16 22:12:22

<<Late to thread, been sans MN)

They are gorgeous and yes they will need a load of room and careful watching to see how they evolve their natural pecking order.

I bought a pack of grids (similar to C&C) from Costco a while back and it is really handy to rustle up cages (when our GP3 was on his last night on earth, we made a Hospital cage to give him peace while still having the girls nearby)

My new sows are in half the Pighouse with a divide made from grids to seperate from the GP4/GP5/GP6 group.

We can make "Hay Cages" (I don't do upper/lower, mine are too lazy) grin

It needs fastening with the corner units and cable ties then lined (I used cardboard to line and placed the whole thing on tarpaulin)

Last winter I used the indoor 4'x2 ' which is too small for living in , but as a Night Bed filled with wooden litter and fleeces , it worked fine. (I used solid hay cookies, less messy indoors)

You might find that you end up with a 2+1 but they'll still have company to chat.
You can use the C&C to make play areas and change the shape, add more rooms etc.
Lots of owners use lino or the same material that Estate Agent signs are made from. You can get it cut to shape ans scored to bend the sides.

Bearsinmotion Sun 14-Aug-16 09:27:26

Thanks 70 smile

The cage they are in at the moment is 140x70. Plan is to get a Midwest habitat style cage next month when I have some money again, fix it on to the current cage and double it up as travel cage for when we go to the grandparents.

We have moved house since we had our last pigs, but when you opened their cage one of them would run across the room, down the hallway, through the kitchen, out the back doors and down the steps to the outside pen - am trying to figure out an innovative guinea pig transport system based on magnetic levitation a way to do that in this house.

They are rescue pigs who were born in the rescue and fostered by a member of staff and it really shows - they aren't shy at all and happy to be held. Am so glad we got them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now