Talk

Advanced search

Can piggies go out today?

(29 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Jul-16 10:49:27

It's so hot. They have a huge hutch and an even bigger play area but they can't access the play run without me. They have at least four things to hide under for shade plus I cover half with a table cloth to give more shade. They have two large water bottles and my piggies are two boys aged 18 months. They are currently in their hutch as the grass was still wet with dew at 9am.

What is everyone else doing with their piggies?

fortifiedwithtea Tue 19-Jul-16 13:16:51

My elderly girls are out. Their run has a summer house attached which must be baking hot. They are hiding in their pigloo. I have a blanket over all the run for shade and they have a water bottle. I gave them cucumber chunks a few minutes ago.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Jul-16 14:15:22

I put them out and they are mainly hiding under the igloo and wooden tunnel but I think they are okay. They've got extra water and I've covered 99% of the run with table cloths.

My cat hasn't been seen since dinner time last night so I'm worried about him and not the piggies at the moment.

SecondMrsAshwell Tue 19-Jul-16 14:19:20

Put a large coke/squash bottle filled with icy water in the run - the piggies can lean on it if they feel too hot.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Jul-16 14:27:21

Aw bless them. They aren't the brightest. I'm not sure they'd know what to do!
Not at all disappointed they show no interest in the many toys I've bought them grin.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 19-Jul-16 14:27:35

Mine are still in the Pighouse (I will put them out later but I need to pick my car up soon)

Just been to check them, the Pighouse is in shade, they have two windows (re-inforced and mesh lined) and their fan.
I gave them ceramic floor tiles and breakfast at 6.30 then 2nd breakfast at 11am (fresh salady things rinsed with water)
The floor area is much cooler than outside. If they go in the run they'll sit in the house or the tunnels which defeats the purpose. Its not giving them any more ventilation than they have at the moment.

BombadierFritz Tue 19-Jul-16 14:32:25

I let mine loose in the garden so they can hide in the shade. Poor things. Its just too hot!

LetsGetReadyToGrumble Tue 19-Jul-16 14:35:21

My pigs are free range and have even mastered the stairs so I'll sometimes find them under beds. They've both chosen to be out today if that helps?

One has found a v comfortable looking spot in tall grass, mostly shaded but with one leg poking out into the sun. Probably already tanned the other three. The other has settled under the shed amongst some damp soil. Every now and then they'll chirp to check each other is still nearby.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Jul-16 14:59:29

I just went and checked on them. They came to me when I called their names <proud mummy> and enjoyed some hand fed grass. Not that they don't have a jungle grin.

PurpleDaisies Tue 19-Jul-16 15:17:44

There's no shade in the garden at the moment so mine are roaming around the kitchen floor. It's tiled so lovely and cool. They are currently munching carrot tops from the veg box and looking quite content.

EastMidsGPs Tue 19-Jul-16 16:41:22

We've been out since 2pm but gave ignored the sun and have slept in the cooler house part of the run.
But children next door are screaming and shouting in their paddling pool and Sadie is drrrrrr ing at the noise and has needed to be fortified with copious amounts of parsley.
Or, she may want her own pool hmm

FernieB Tue 19-Jul-16 16:46:03

Mine are still in and grumpy. They can see the sun, they know it's a nice day but their evil slave won't put them out. They're going out in a few minutes in the shade and will stay out until dusk.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 19-Jul-16 17:58:29

Mine have been out since 3.30, water bottles and fresh chilled cucumber to keep little rodenty ones happy.

GP4,GP5 and GP6 were in overdrive wheeking at the NDN paddling pool being filled, but I don't think they want their own pool grin

Tomorrow, I'll move the runs'n'houses to fresh grass.And admire the locust type devastation they have left.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Jul-16 18:30:19

Just went out to hose pipe the garden and the piggies got very excited. Wondered about giving them a bowl of water to play in..

PurpleDaisies Tue 19-Jul-16 18:41:49

Mine are out now. Popcorning all over the place.

The girls were scared of a blackbird pulling worms up near them (wimps). We've had a visit from a hedgehog and a big frog. It's like a nature trail out there at the moment.

FernieB Tue 19-Jul-16 18:59:32

Very jealous of your hedgehog Purple. We have tiny froglets just coming out of the pond that like to hide near the pigs and then leap at them. Also had a toad visiting them yesterday and I put out a large shallow dish of water for the birds as they were queuing to have a bath in the pond and ended up with three pigeons and a squirrel paddling in it. The pigs aren't interested in paddling but I was out yesterday evening and DH gave them an enormous bit of lavender so he's their favourite at the moment.

EastMidsGPs Tue 19-Jul-16 21:29:13

We've just come in and are now chillaxing it is still do warm though.
Having ate more than their combined body weight in freshly cut lush grass they are now a bit zzzzzzzz

Have seen piggies on YouTube swimming but I've never had one particularly keen on water let alone demand water wings

millimat Tue 19-Jul-16 21:34:26

Ours have had baths this afternoon. They were filthy plus I thought it would cool them down. One hated it. The other didn't want to get out!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 19-Jul-16 21:42:37

I need to do another bum dip for my Himmy, I think she sticks her bum in the corner and pees (to escape the advances of our boar) She should just bite him, she does it to me wink

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 19-Jul-16 21:44:30

awesome has the cat rolled up, nonchalantly, yet?

Goingtobeawesome Wed 20-Jul-16 06:44:04

70, he turned up at 3:30. I gave him breakfast. Only seen him for a minute since. He had nothing to say for himself grin. I thought I heard him crying a few minutes ago but I've not been downstairs yet.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 20-Jul-16 07:57:08

He came home at 7.25, cried at DD to let him in the front door just after she'd shut it to go to school. Cried for me to feed him then got scared when he saw a dead mouse in the utility room grin.

FernieB Wed 20-Jul-16 10:55:29

Glad the cat turned up.

One of our local moggys has decided to be friends with my pigs. He's spent most of the morning so far lying beside their run purring at them. They are not impressed and are ignoring him which I think is just plain rude.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 20-Jul-16 11:16:24

He's eaten and gone again hmmgrin.

My cats are scared of the piggies.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 20-Jul-16 21:47:39

grin when we had a cat she was a Dirty Stop Out at this time of year (she was neutered and vaccined and tended to stay within our garden and our old NDN who had an elderly cat too, he was 21 when he died, she died a couple of years later aged 17)

I spent hours a while moving their runs today , DD can put them out later on nice fresh patches of grass.

I put their hay outside of their sleeping boxes so they still have eating hay but not to sit and cook in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now