Talk

Advanced search

Very Sick Hamster & No Vet Tonight - Help!!

(8 Posts)
RockinHippy Fri 01-Jul-16 19:17:23

Shes young, new too us & I now wonder if too young, as having kept many hamsters, she has been very odd in her ways. No pouches until this week, sleeps & toilets in her bed, which she made in a little plastic hut. Rarely comes out & cant be handled as very, very skittish, though doesn't bite. Though does have a little flurry of activity on her wheel & run around the cage everyday, just not for long like other hamsters

We've done all the right things with food etc, small nut sized occasional veg treat, so far only broccoli, carrot & strawberry & dry food, right bedding

Just took the lid off her hut as I couldn't tempt her out even with sunflower seeds & at first we thought she had hurt above her nose. We don't normally take tge lid off as she is a very nervous little thing & didn't want to stress her, but Im now regretting that.

Getting her out properly, she is in a bad way, what looks like a a prolapse bowel sad & very dirty bedding.
Looks like wet tail - I am gutted we have somehow missed this, there were no signs & we check in her daily

The only 24 hour vet we can get to, we have had trouble with before, so have friends & so we just do not trust at all, with good reason, more money than pet welfare orientated. She has tried to drink from her bottle, which is good, but sadly I don't think anything can be done for her, she is so tiny

She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'm scared to stress her out more by handling her & trying to clean her. We have put her in a carry box, but realised it was too late to take her to the vet.

Now cleaning out her cage & putting her back as its familiar surroundings. Giving her a dish of water with Himalayan Salts in the hope to help her electrolytes balance & will take her to the good vet tomorrow if it's not too late

Is there anything else we can do for her ?

Can I try coconut water

Help please sad

RockinHippy Sat 02-Jul-16 00:35:28

No need to reply, poor little mite died a few hours ago. A blessing it was sooner rather than later I think, we are still all gutted though sad

ImGoingToTeabagYourDrumKitDale Sat 02-Jul-16 00:39:07

I'm sorry to hear the news. At least you made her comfortable. Don't blame yourself maybe she just was not the strongest of her litter, it happens. flowers

RockinHippy Wed 06-Jul-16 15:35:46

Thank you. I think you are probably right, still sad though sad

I did give her a little dish of coconut water. Turned out from research that it is okay in such circumstances, its a great source of electrolytes. Sadly I think it was already too late & she didn't touch it, but might be useful if anyone else in a similar situation in future x

sophie1706 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:47:02

Can anyone help, any ideas, our little hamster has been losing hair on both sides of her hind quarters, which has gradually got worse in the last week. She is very shaking when she walks and doesn't seem to have much control over her back legs. She is not really pooing, is still going to the corner to pee then going back to bed. She is sleeping most of the day and night which is unlike her. She is eating but only when i give her the food and drinking with syringe she just seems so sleepy. Called the vet out to see her as we took her one time in the car and she hated it so much, didn't want to put her through more. The vet said maybe hormones as well as old age she is about 17 months old. Any ideas anyone its truly breaking my heart watching her and my children are really upset.

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Tue 30-Aug-16 07:18:41

Can't help sorry, but hope someone will come along soon who can x

BestZebbie Wed 31-Aug-16 21:43:45

sophie1706: It sounds as if your hamster may have Cushings disease. :-(

Cushing's isn't instant death for a hamster but it will be increasing decline and unpleasant symptoms until eventual death, it may be kinder to have her put to sleep sooner rather than later - sorry that it isn't better news.

www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=cushings

booellesmum Thu 01-Sep-16 21:38:04

What kind of hamster do you have?
We have had a lot of Russian dwarfs(going on for 30) and a fair few of them lost hair as they got older - some went very bald especially at the back. They also seemed to be prone to developing tumours.
17 months is a good age for a hamster and they do really slow down towards the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now