Talk

Advanced search

Hedgehogs

(11 Posts)
LadyLayLay Sun 12-Jun-16 12:03:56

Does anyone keep Hedgehogs as pets?

I really like the thought of having one.

I've had tortoises, horses, guinea pigs, hamsters, dogs, rats, and fish - but never a hog!

Can anyone give me a 101 of keeping them? I know there's info online but personal experiences would be good brewsmile

LolaStarr Thu 23-Jun-16 22:47:50

I've got one, this is Oreo. I haven't had him too long so I can't give much advice but he's been really straightforward so far. What exactly do you want to know?

Parsley1234 Thu 23-Jun-16 22:49:08

Oh my god now that is seriously cute ! I want to know where exactly did you find him ! X

LolaStarr Thu 23-Jun-16 22:50:55

He's an African Pygmy hedgehog, a pet shop near me get a lot of exotics in, lizards and snakes etc, and every now and again they get hedgehogs. I've wanted one for ages and I just fell in love with his little face, had to have him smile

Parsley1234 Fri 24-Jun-16 22:17:45

Ahhhhh that is so beautiful is he hard to look after ? X

LolaStarr Sat 25-Jun-16 07:00:01

Like I say I've only had him a week or so but he's been easy so far! I think once you get their cage set up properly they're pretty straight forward smile

Parsley1234 Sat 25-Jun-16 07:54:57

So lovely I wish you years of happiness with him - he's beautiful X

MyShinyThing Sat 25-Jun-16 08:11:36

I've been looking into this a bit recently as DS is hedgehog mad, we decided against as we have a cat so not really compatible.

If you are going to go ahead though can I suggest getting one from a shelter. They seem to have become quite fashionable and as a result there are plenty who have been abandoned. I found this shelter while searching online http://www.homelesshogs.co.uk/about-adoption-process/4592083747] and their adoption process is quite straightforward.

Also have a look at hedgehog street and see what you can do for our native hedgehogs who are sadly declining.

Good luck with your future hog, they are seriously cute!

Oreo is gorgeous Lola!

LolaStarr Sat 25-Jun-16 16:28:58

Thank you shiny. Here's another picture of his little face just because he's so cute smile

starchildareyoulistening Wed 13-Jul-16 20:13:30

Don't know much about pygmy hogs but I look after a lot of wild hedgehogs through my job and they are the messiest, smelliest animals i've come across (their poo stinks a bit like cat poo and they produce so much of it and get it everywhere!) and are excellent escape artists. I hand reared 2 babies a couple of years ago and although they were adorable and it was v rewarding, I def wouldn't jump at the chance to do it again as they made my house smell despite cleaning out 2 or 3 times a day!

If you don't mind that aspect and are def interested in having a hog you could try ringing round some local vets and see if they have any that need fostering. Most practices get poorly hedgehogs brought in quite regularly, especially juveniles, and once they've been treated and wormed etc they may need someone to look after them until they've gained enough weight to be released. As autumn approaches there will be some youngsters about that aren't going to be big enough to hibernate and they'll need fostering all winter. That way you get to enjoy the company of a hog and contribute to their conservation. smile They're quite straightforward to care for, they just need to be kept somewhere warm, fed and cleaned out a lot!

LolaStarr Fri 15-Jul-16 07:28:42

Pygmys don't smell really (well mine doesn't anyway). I think it depends what you feed them. He does trash his cage every night though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now