Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why do my Guinea pigs keep eating newspaper?

(8 Posts)
Juanbablo Fri 27-May-16 17:31:22

They have fresh water, plenty of hay, dry food and vegetables. But the keep eating the newspaper lining their cage! Help!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 17:48:00

They like the shred,chew,make noise.
It's just them
I've kept pigs on newspaper for years and no problems. Just make sure there's no staples and we make sure any photographs of Boris Johnson anre uppermost for them to pee on wink, the freebie Metro usually has at least one pic a day.

Though now I'll struggle to find BoJo pictures. <<sigh>>

iklboo Fri 27-May-16 18:02:32

If it's the DM it's because they're epic critics & think the best thing to do with it is eat it up & crap it out grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 18:05:01

Mine are fond of The Telegraph (donated by DBro)
Huge pages and very absorbant .
Being passed through a piggies digestive tract (twice) grin improves the Daily Mail more than anything else.

Juanbablo Fri 27-May-16 20:53:00

Oh phew! We've had them for 3.5 years and I don't remember them eating newspaper so compulsively. I've seen them do it once or twice when they were running low on hay but always stopped when I topped them up. Fresh hay hasn't deterred them this time!

I think it's The Sun and The Sunday Times. I always Nick the newspapers out of my aunts recycling bin as we don't buy newspapers!

clippityclop Fri 27-May-16 23:40:27

Mine like the Telegraph too and have a nibble at sticky up bits in their run. Holland and Barratt brown paper bags (handles pulled off at one end) are v popular, the hidey hole they can eat.

FernieB Sat 28-May-16 10:37:41

Occasionally, if DH has been away for work (free papers on airlines and in lounges) mine get a Financial Times to chew on. As a great treat he sometimes brings back a German or French newspaper. I like to think they're digesting a great deal of knowledge making them more rounded pigs (in so many ways)wink

EastMidsGPs Sun 29-May-16 21:23:55

Why do they?

According to Mollie and Sadie "because we can and we like to worry you" smile
No Nationals or Broadsheets for the EastMids piggies, local daily rag - they often pee (to my delight) on pictures of our local MP, who is always in there as she'd attend the opening of a paperbag to get in the press/on tv.
They also get to read chew a local fortnightly paper, this has the added bonus of more pictures of said MP and also pictures of our local fireman Sam near neighbour to pee on ... petty pay back for when he parks over our driveway !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now