Talk

Advanced search

And then there were five. Come and meet the new "70" piggies

(27 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 15:29:28

Today, GP4,GP5 and GP6 were introduced to two new housemates.
Both Rescues, both females about 2yo, so same age as our boar (GP4 and GP5 are 2.6yo)

No photos yet, they're indulging in the Ver' Ver' Important Matter of refreshing themselves after their journey (ie out in the small run, scoffing grass grin )

GP7 (Matilda, known as Tilly) is a longish haired mainly white/brown with a splash of beige.
GP8 (Tarragon) is white,agouti and ginger

GP6 our boar is highly delighted to add to his Bert Fanclub Hareem though he probably doesn't know how much he'll be bossed when they all get married.
We're going to side-by-side them for a while , then have The Official Wedding.

Buy your hats now grin

FernieB Fri 27-May-16 17:08:48

You kept that quietwink.

Welcome to the new 70 hogs. Pigtures are required as usual so we can coo over their cuteness. Poor Bert will be henpecked - perhaps build him his own shed so he can escape all those wimmin and tend to his parsley seedlings! He'll need a flat cap and a pipe.

Hope the 4 girls get on together when they meet - no bitchiness or comments about each other's weight ('too thin', 'only one chin' etc).

Well done on rescuing more piggies in need. I'd have a herd if i had the room and a more amenable DH.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 17:41:09

grin they met at the Rescue on neutral ground, there was a fair bit of sniffing and climbing over/under each other .
Three of them peed (Gp3,GP5 and GP8)

I had been mulling over new piggie additions, I made the mortal sin huge mistake of looking on Gumtree sad but I needed females and there weren't that many. Also needed to be not teeny baby because GP3 would scare them.
Next problem was convincing the Gumtree people to give me the pigs for nothing (because they want ££ to ensure a 5* home and prove I'm not a snake keeping furrier).

I considered offering to donate to a Rescue to show my good intention, but I thought "Why - that makes no sense. I should Rescue and donate then the Rescue has the donation plus it creates a space"

So I watched the Website (lots of pigs on pg watch) these two were up for rehoming and it was obviously kismet.

And so, here starts their new life with the 70 hogs.

(WRT chins, these girls have got that covered. wink )

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 22:08:44

They had to go in The Pighouse about 6pm (threat of rain) and DD and I gave them supper at 9pm. (GP4,GP5,GP6 in the main Pighouse. GP7 and GP8 in the cage on the floor,so they can suss each other out. They have a trug of hay and a tunnel)
Five little pairs of eyes looked beadily at us , demanding supper after their busy day.
These new piggies can hold their own at the food bowl, I reckon they're Proper Guineas. grin

FernieB Sat 28-May-16 10:53:46

Hope they're all happy this morning and are interested in each other. Glad to hear they have ample chins - any self respecting piggie has at least two.

I stay clear of Gumtree - it's just too sad. I do occasionally look at my local Rescue website (where Gingerpig came from) just to see who's there. Usually single boars unfortunately. Girls appear to be very much in demand. If I had the room I'd foster poor neglected piggies. Over the last few years, I've discovered I'm pretty good at fattening them up!

Better go and put my lads out to pasture or they'll be wasting away. DH gave them breakfast this morning and they must have convinced him they were starving as they'd had most of the salad drawer from the fridge. Given your increased herd have you ordered 2 extra veg boxes each weekconfused. You'll need to turn over your garden to parsley farming just to keep them going.

SuburbanRhonda Sat 28-May-16 11:00:36

No photos?

shock

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 28-May-16 14:04:22

grin
Photo of our two new piggies.
They all wheeked at me when I pottered down with breakfast, they were all straight into their plates......Nomnomnom

DD and I gave them a cuddle (and a sneaky photo) , first chance we've had to properly look at them.
Tonight, they'll all come in to watch BGT the Final .
We'll try and get some more photos (it will be organised chaos blush )

FernieB Sat 28-May-16 14:51:35

So so cute and lovely and roundwink. Very pretty pigs. Hope they enjoy the final tonight. Can't wait for wedding photos. Scruffypig was seen washing his face this morning (a rare thing) so he'll be clean for the occasion.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 28-May-16 20:42:37

We let them pootle on DDs bed earlier, GP3 (boar) tried to sniff at GP8 ...........she kicked him shock grin

We will need to let them have a good few days to get aquainted then give them loads of space and food.
They're chatting through the bars of the runs (we have two runs beside each other) but it'll be a while before they are all allowed together.
They will find it easier going once the cage is out of the Pighouse, more space,tunnels.
If they want to all cuddle, there will be space. If they want to mutter darkly in a tunnel, they can do.

I have white vinegar to de-aroma everything .We were planning Wednesday, but that might be a bit soon. We'll see. Animals aren't designed to be predictable grin

How lovely! I have three sows. I think they'd approve of life in your Pighouse (and they are girls who know what life owes them!)

I actually got the girls after reading lots of your posts (we had rehomed rats who went back to the breeder who helped us get them after they settled beautifully with me but bit the dc, hard and repeatedly, and TV e breeder felt they were stressed and would be better elsewhere). Here they are! Two rehomed, the mostly white teddy I bought as we felt the little ginger pig would never tame. But she is finally lovely and settled and likes a good cuddle!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 28-May-16 20:58:07

smile guinea-pigs seem to have this instinctive inner knowledge that Life Owes Them don't they (and what with vets classing them as exotic....wink )

My hogs are all Rescues, none of them have been maltreated or neglected thankfully, though my two older sows were bred from (irresponsibly) so they need a bit more leeway.
We do sometimes tell the boar that we know why he was given up, he is an adorable boy but thick as mince not the brightest.
He doesn't realise he's Jaffa, he thinks he's Still Got It Girls but they don't like to disillusion him, Bless them.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 28-May-16 21:07:44

They are gorgeous Dreaming , I love to see guineas bonding over food grin

I thought I'd taking on too much when I got GP5 (my Himmy) she was very nervous and took a long while to settle. But she did, she's lovely now, still a bit bitey, but more a gnaw.
Luckily my DD is a teenager and doesn't react .

If you ever plan adding to your herd, neutered boars are lovely snuggly pigs (un-neutered without sows are equally snuggly)

I need to work out my C&C size for winter, my three tolerated the Hated Indoor Cage last year, but this winter , they'll need loads more room.

SuburbanRhonda Sat 28-May-16 23:31:37

Oooh photos!

70, I love your spherical one and her friend on the right has beautifully turned out feet. Clearly a ballet dancer in a previous life smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 28-May-16 23:54:41

The spherical one is DDs piggie (she now has three) and is much lighter than you'd imagine from her photo. She's 50% fur grin
The other one is my piggie (I have the two little girls now, I'm hoping they bond well in the group) . I have a photo of me cuddling her with her little leathery leg dangling straight (she has mismatched coloured back legs to go with her mismatched nostrils).
It was my new guinea that gave our boar a swift right hook today when he was being all "Ding Dong" (Leslie Phillips)

FernieB Sun 29-May-16 08:20:01

The 'spherical' one reminds me of Dougal from the Magic Roundabout! She's so fluffy. Both girls have beautiful markings. Glad they're getting on.

EastMidsGPs Sun 29-May-16 21:08:31

O.M.G.!!!!!

*wanders off to convince DH we are extremely cruel keeping our girls as a pair. And that we really should have a small herd.

Doubt i will be successful but needless to say i am 'well jell' and loveee the pictures smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 29-May-16 21:35:43

grin my DH was a bit "Eh?" when I suggested another addition, but now knows why I need him to sort the hutch and run, to accomodate them all.
I had seen a pig very local to me on Gumtree (but got no reply) then two pigs (but got no joy from the vendor)

We waited a while, I thought "If something turns up it's meant to be but I'm not going to go out looking"
The Rescue had piggies waiting but they would be weeks before they were available...........until these were on the site.

We brought GP4,GP5 and GP6 in from the garden for a cuddle and let GP7 and GP8 have a pootle round the big run- they loved it grin. Then they came in for a cuddle, they are very calm and settled, they've been well handled in the past.
We'll move both runs to fresh grazing tomorrow, to minimise territory outrage.

They are now known as "Bert and the Herd" grin..............and I have a pig to name Tarragon smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 29-May-16 21:46:13

Oh and you're right about the increased veg purchases Fernie
We were out at the market (DH and I)
"Those bunches of herbs are five times what you get in Sainsburys" DH said.
I've never bought the huge bunches, they wouldn't get used but now large mint+large parsley (£1.50) and large bunch leafey carrots (£1) they like their leafy ones will get scoffed in a heartbeat.
I am keeping a lookout for in-leaf sweetcorn too.
That's my non working days taken care of. Amongst the washing,cooking,cleaning,sorting out car things and driving the DC about, I do Pig Duties and I'll hunt down huge wedges of fresh veg .

What I should do is turn half my garden over to grow hay. I've considered haybales but I reckon it's a bit coarse for rodents so I'll stick with bagged.

EastMidsGPs Mon 30-May-16 07:52:04

A quick look on our local rescue site ... "currently we have a lot of guineas in. Boars and sows, short and long haired and many colours."
Only 5 minutes away ... I must resist temptation ... I must resist temptation ..I must ..
It is perhaps good that we and the piggies are off to Norfolk today for the week 🐹🐹🐾🐾

fortifiedwithtea Mon 30-May-16 18:32:48

OMG they are gorgeous <I am well jel> I reckon they will all be very happy together smile

dietcokeandwine Wed 01-Jun-16 17:21:10

Ooh 70 grin congratulations on your new arrivals!

Gorgeous pigs, really lovely smile

Hope they are all settling in well.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 01-Jun-16 21:11:42

How's the new pigletty one settling in dietcoke?

My three Resident Hogs are very animated pootling round the cage (we did this set up when we had GP3 in the Pighouse with GP4+GP5 in the cage, then GP6 in the cage when he arrived)
GP7 and GP8 have a trug to hide in but I know (by the 'evidence' that they're all over the cage)

SO noisy grin, I did the clean/feed tonight (DD is out) they were wheeking for Britain. " She Devil we are so hungry, we can nearly see our feet"
I bought a huge bag of veg today , they'll wolf that.(Spinach,sweetcorn in leaves,carrot with leaves,herbs,cucumber)

We're hoping for a Wedding this weekend if the weather is kind and the planets all collude to make them behave wink

FernieB Wed 01-Jun-16 21:58:37

Fancy letting your pigs get so hungry they could almost see their feetconfused. That's just neglectwink. I'm just as bad. Went to fetch the boys in from their run today and I put the litter tray I carry them in, in their run. Put their food bowl in and then emptied the water bottle over a plant. Went to put the bottle in the tray but didn't realise there was still water in it. Poor Gingerpig had jumped into the tray ready to go in and got soaked with the remains of the cold water from his bottleblush. He had lots of warm towel cuddles and parsley to get over his ordeal. I'm a bad pig mum.

Looking forward to the wedding pigtures 70. I'll get the boys to wear parsley buttonholes and Currentbun will brush his ears.

FernieB Wed 01-Jun-16 21:59:01

Fancy letting your pigs get so hungry they could almost see their feetconfused. That's just neglectwink. I'm just as bad. Went to fetch the boys in from their run today and I put the litter tray I carry them in, in their run. Put their food bowl in and then emptied the water bottle over a plant. Went to put the bottle in the tray but didn't realise there was still water in it. Poor Gingerpig had jumped into the tray ready to go in and got soaked with the remains of the cold water from his bottleblush. He had lots of warm towel cuddles and parsley to get over his ordeal. I'm a bad pig mum.

Looking forward to the wedding pigtures 70. I'll get the boys to wear parsley buttonholes and Currentbun will brush his ears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now