Hmmm, how can I do this?

(5 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 25-May-16 15:42:51

My lardy hogs have one of those Bunny Business runs (it's 7' long and about 4' wide)
Has a door on the top, one short side and a small door on both long sides.
We wired up the small doors and fasten the other doors with those cable ties when the pigs are in (and the slide/bolts)

We bought a rabbit hutch to go inside (it's about 4'x2') as a Summer house, cut two doors in one end. But of course, it's a royal pain to get the pigs out and the newspaper (we put some hay in too)
I think now I need to move it outside of the run.

So: I want to re-inforce the wire mesh (we have some so thats ok) and probably secure the front opening doors so that it can only open via the roof.
And I need a decure way of fastening the hutch to the run. Preferably that I can detatch it to move it .

I'll need to raise the hutch (had to cut the legs off ) and they'll need a ramp to get in.

How can I do this?
There are those Runaround fasteners but they're for tunnels.
I will put padlocks and hooks on the roof with a hinge at the back. (Well, DH will grin )

Chains threaded through metal hoops (no idea what the proper name is) to secure it, ?

FernieB Wed 25-May-16 18:33:40

Erm sounds like a project. I suggest you send DH off to a DIY place to consult with an expert and they can both scratch their heads, stick pencils behind their ears and stare at containers of bolts for a while. I'm a bit odd in that I love looking at nails and fixings in DIY stores. If you explain to a boffin there, someone may be able to help. Actually Screwfix website is quite good as they have lots of fastenings you never knew existed.

Would it not be easier (and better for the pigs) to replace your garden fence/wall/hedge with a very large electric fence (like round prisons) sunk several metres into the ground? Then they could be free rangewink.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 25-May-16 18:42:18

I would hire Sean Pertwee ( Gothams "Alfred Pennyworth) to leave that pesky Bruce Wayne and be the pigs' bodyguard.
Easier on the eye than electric fencing , not sure DH would go for it.
My GP5 doesn't cope with Too Much Outdoors, she likes sitting in the new hutch with her face on the grass.
Too much bright for her ruby eyes, I'm going to buy her a dark sheet to shade her..

I asked DH, he reckons he can do the lid with hinges and padlocks, I need to measure up the hutch: run.
I looked on the BunnyBusiness site but I can't see how they attatch the little wooden houses, or even if they are attatched.
The plan was to let them have the secure hutch during the day but I reckon I'll only let them out when I'm here, DD will let them out when she gets home on my work days.

midnightmoomoo Fri 27-May-16 14:47:06

Could you turn the hutch around so the back of it is run side and you can access the front?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 22:21:59

We already cut the two doors in the short end furthest from the sleeping area , I don't think DH could close them without replacing (and painting) the whole side.

He's come up with the idea of those screw eyes (hooks with a circle loop) in the wood and those carabinas that will hook through the loop and the bars then they twist to lock)
Might get him to put some hooks in the base so I can peg to the ground (very scary looking hard ground pegs and a rubber hammer grin )

DH is on board with spending his Bank Holiday sorting it (especially now we have the two new guineas)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now