Talk

Advanced search

anyone got any experiance with house rabbits

(11 Posts)
Gowgirl Thu 19-May-16 09:20:31

As it says in the title, I'm considering a house rabbit, have done a lot of reading and think maybe it would be a nice addition to our home.
Do they have the dog like, companion tendencies I keep reading about!
Any advice apreciated

MadHattersWineParty Thu 19-May-16 09:26:06

Yes- and they can use a litter tray.

They will chew wires.

An unneatured boy might spray-wee you while doing a little dance.

But they can be the most gorgeous, loving companions ever. My old one would jump up on the sofa and curl up with me like a cat. Do you have children? How old? Rabbits aren't always a good pet for young children.

FernieB Thu 19-May-16 10:56:37

Not always great companions - it's very hit and miss. Rabbits are generally more independent than dogs and quite like to be left alone (although they love a bunny companion). They mostly dislike being picked up but will allow you to stroke them on their terms. They're not great for young children who usually want to cuddle them as they're so fluffy, but as most rabbits dislike this, they can kick and bite and cause injury.

They also chew like mad - anything from wires to carpets and furniture and anything left within reach. They can moult heavily which will test your vacuum cleaners abilities! They can be litter trained (easier once neutered) but may still drop a bunny 'currant' or two around the house.

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 19-May-16 11:07:46

I've had two.

The first slowly persuaded my mother she preferred being indoor than out, and at one point had the run of the house whenever someone was at home (being shut in the garage, but free-rein there, otherwise). Her freedon was curtailed somewhat when my mother got fed up of her tearing the wallpaper from the walls of every room in the house, but she'd still be allowed to go through the kitchen into the lounge.

She was great. Very independant-minded, loved the cat, was great fun. I have great memories of homework sessions being interrupted by her throwing herself onto my lap, jumping off, then jumping up again! She'd always wee in her hutch, though would poo wherever she felt like it!

My second just lived inside during the winter. Her 'home' was under my bed, and there were always pellets under there, but she'd always wee in her litter tray (though she was v particular about that - was happy with a laptray and a rabbit corner tray, but disliked the cat one I tried her with and pulled it out of the corner to wee on the carpet - great!). She was a rescue and had likelly been abused in the past, so spent most of her life in what I called 'scared rabbit mode' - she would come over for a stroke but wasn't effusive in her affections. There as a period of about 6 months when she seemed to snap out of this, and would jump on the sofa and my lap for a snuggle, and overall seemed more relaxed, but it went as suddenly as it appeared.

I definitely recommend, and would have my current buns in the house now if I could, but the cat would stress them out too much, and with the two guineas inside anyway I really don't have the room!

kerryob Mon 30-May-16 23:26:52

We have a gorgeous house rabbit, you need to be careful with wires and they need lots of space to run round. He was a rescue bun and it's taken him a year to really settle and be at home. Rabbits have amazing personalities but as with all animals you need to spend time with them to bond. If you are serious about a rabbit look at the rabbit welfare site for advice especially diet, that is very important for bunnies!

itsagirl2014 Fri 03-Jun-16 10:13:09

I'd suggest getting two (neutered and bonded) rabbits, they really need company to be happy.

toofarfromcivilisation Fri 03-Jun-16 10:24:01

I used to have one years ago when I was single. When I got a boyfriend (now ex-H) the rabbit hated him. If he stayed the night the rabbit would wait until bedtime and then jump on his pillow for a wee!
Should have listened to that rabbit.

exLtEveDallas Fri 03-Jun-16 10:27:47

We had one. She was great all in all, but we 'rabbit proofed' as much as we could (wires in trunking etc). She went into a hutch in the hallway at night, and used to go in there to do her business throughout the day. She did however chew my curtains and the underneath of the sofas which was a pain.

She got on great with the dog and used to curl up in front of the fire during the colder evenings.

YumLemonCheesecake Mon 06-Jun-16 20:23:04

Ooooh love this thread, I will be getting one when I get back from honeymoon, as well as a kitten says the husband to be!

LadyLayLay Sun 12-Jun-16 12:00:30

Yes two, never again! They drove me absolutely confusedangrygrin

Never used the litter tray, crapped everywhere, hated being picked up or stroked, got behind everything and wouldn't come out and chewed the place to pieces.

I think my two came from the devil. Rabbits are very hit and miss and not like dogs at all.

TroysMammy Tue 21-Jun-16 22:01:50

I had one he was a little bugger and a joy in equal measures. He bit the cat and then constantly chased him. Would attack the hoover, go behind the settee and slyly gnaw the skirting. Would help himself to green stuff from shopping bags before I had chance to put it away. He would dance around my legs everytime I went into the fridge because he wanted kale. All my trousers had holes at ankle height as he would tug on them whilst dancing around for kale.

He would ting a bell he had in his cage when he wanted to come out. He would get poo stuck on his bum and I had to wash his nether regions and trim his fur.

He was loving and would sit with me on the settee for hours, especially if the cat was out. He was very jealous of the cat being stroked and would vie for my attention.

When the cat died 7 years after him I buried him on the opposite side of the garden. Miss them both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now