Sleepingbunnies Thu 28-Apr-16 10:13:38

My poor piggies have mites sad

Apointment tomorrow with the vet.. sad

Sleepingbunnies Thu 28-Apr-16 10:14:06

Is it mites? Any other ideas?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 28-Apr-16 19:53:45

Oh, poor soul.
It's in the commonly found area (on the rump) and ger hair looks 'snapped'

Your vet might do a scraping to look at, you'll most likely get Ivermectin.
Have they both got it? They'll treat both of them to be safe.
Can you scrub out their cage (steam if you have a steamer) then all fresh bedding too.
Good Luck sleepypigs

FernieB Fri 29-Apr-16 07:43:42

Good luck at the vet sleepingpiggies!

Sleepingbunnies Fri 29-Apr-16 12:54:21

They both had an injection for mites sad

Another injection in 2 weeks time. Vet did say though that she was surprised how early we recognised it as normally she sees piggies in a really bad condition before anyone notices so I am pleased about that.

Poppy has antibiotics for the wound on her back sad

Sleepingbunnies Fri 29-Apr-16 13:18:33

Am thinking of ditching wood shavings in the cage.. do you think I could just line the cage with towels?

MimsyBorogroves Fri 29-Apr-16 13:24:51

If it recurs, it's possible to treat mites yourself with oral ivermectin - the Guinea Lynx forums have the dosage instructions.

When I had pigs, I bedded mine on fleece as it took away any wetness from the surface, rather than having soggy patches like towels will. In a large cage with 3 pigs I could change every 2 days on fleece.

Keep an eye on them though - one of mine used to suffer with mites flare ups before the onset of illnesses - she was subject to respiratory problems throughout her life and mites were usually the first indicator she was about to get ill.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 29-Apr-16 14:23:38

I'm not a huge fleece fan but I'd try fleece on layers of newspaper (maybe a puppy pad underneath if your piggies aren't chewers) and hay in a rack.

The fleeces I've found best are the 'rough' Primark ones (they're the cheaper ones about £2-£3.50) not the plush silky ones which didn't wick and left my GP5 with a peed belly .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now