Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend appropriate hutch and run ?

(16 Posts)
Purplerainbow2 Thu 21-Apr-16 14:44:07

As per my other thread, am now convinced of getting some guinea pigs smile planning on rescuing a pair (maybe 3 of them? One for each dc and one for me hahaha) it seems most people keep them indoors but that isn't an option for me as there is no space so they will be in the garage which is next to the house where no cars are parked in. I want to buy obviously the biggest hutch I can afford but I'm thinking I will also need to buy a seperate run for dry days. I will get a run with a bed section in it. Are there any recommendations? Or what NOT to bother buying? I will get a couple of the igloos and obviously a food bowl and water bottle. Anything else I need? Haven't had pigs for quite a few years.

Also when I used to have them as a kid, I used to put newspaper then wood clippings (not sawdust) then hay in the bed. I have read people saying no to wood clippings? Mine were always healthy... This is still ok isn't it or what are the other (not expensive) options?

Also I only had boars, are there pros and cons or what is best for friendliness for the dc?
Tia.

Purplerainbow2 Thu 21-Apr-16 18:44:55

Bunp

SisterViktorine Thu 21-Apr-16 20:30:42

There are lots of cage ideas on this forum

You could build a c&c cage to fit the space in your garage.

I have just acquired pigs after the sad loss of our rabbits. I thought I wouldn't be able to love them in the same way I loved the buns- but they are proving to be wonderful. I am really falling for them! Enjoy smile

Purplerainbow2 Thu 21-Apr-16 20:33:02

Ah that's sweet Sister. I'm really looking forward to it. Going to ring a few rescue places tomorrow to see if there's anything about. Having a clear out of garage at the weekend. There is (will be) plenty of space in the garage so I don't need something to fit a specific space.

Thinking of one of those pop up runs for inside in dining floor ?

SisterViktorine Thu 21-Apr-16 20:50:04

I'm not sure what's for the best for pigs really. For rabbits bigger is always better and however much space you give them they always seem to be craving for more.

I have a 2.5 x 1m eglu Go with a 3 x 3m run attached. Pigs have been in the eglu section since coming home and although they have free access to the extra run area (via a 3 inch high ramp) they have not investigated it at all. They seem content with far less space.

I do bring them in for kitchen time every day in a 1.2m cage we had previously. They seem happy in this for an hour or so and it allows dc to sit and chat to them.

Purplerainbow2 Thu 21-Apr-16 21:13:53

I was thinking once dc are in from school they could come inside the pen and they can stroke and hold them etc?

Sister, Iv had a quick look at some of the DIY job hutches which look great but they are all indoors? I noticed also a lot of them use fleece blankets to line, surely they just get smelly and dirty and need constant washing??

Purplerainbow2 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:08:00

Can anyone recommend a good wooden hutch please? Have read rubbish reviews on pets at home website

littlehayleyc Fri 22-Apr-16 22:00:59

The Welfare hutch company make really good solid hutches, but they are quite pricey. I got my 2 storey 6ft x 2ft hutch from an ebay seller fairly locally who makes them to order for about £150. I have the guinea pigs on the top level and the rabbits underneath with attached run. The piggies go in their run when its warm and dry. During the winter the guinea pigs come in to the conservatory and the rabbits have both storeys of the hutch.

Purplerainbow2 Tue 26-Apr-16 18:39:30

Thanks little I had a look but there's only one option on there. I don't want to buy a 2 story one in case u end up with 2 that won't climb ladders. How would I find someone locally as you did?

cherrypepsimax Wed 27-Apr-16 22:30:55

piggies love climbing, I have never met a piggy that will not go up a ramp, if that is all that is putting you off a 2 storey one don't let it.
:-)

Purplerainbow2 Thu 28-Apr-16 09:51:52

Hi cherry (didn't want to reply on other thread for this one!) I guess all the ones I had in the past didn't have access to a ladder so wouldn't have known if they would climb! Iv just read that not all are climbers. I don't want a hutch that has the bottom as the run, I want to get a seperate hutch to run

cherrypepsimax Thu 28-Apr-16 18:06:22

Maybe climbing is the wrong word, they don't climb as in like a monkey, but they like ramps, and different levels.

Welfare hutch company are good, so are runabout runs and runaround runs .

Purplerainbow2 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:40:20

I don't know if it's because I'm on my phone but I looked at the welfare page and they only seem to have 6 options? 6 foot ones. I can't work out either if I should get a short or tall one? I get a bad back and thinking of cleaning it, weather I should get a 'tall' one, although they aren't that high, or get a short and put it on a table but then I have to buy a table!

cherrypepsimax Thu 28-Apr-16 19:13:17

Long is better they have more room to get up speed ( as much as you can confined in a hutch but you know what I mean) if you yse litter trays you can remove them easier then vending and scraping. A 6 ft double would be ideal!

cherrypepsimax Thu 28-Apr-16 19:15:08

Sorry if you use .... Bending and scraping...

Purplerainbow2 Thu 28-Apr-16 19:16:22

You've had guineas use a litter tray? Climb up in it and only go to the toilet there??

Sorry when I meant long or short I meant the legs 😁 as in the height. I'm going to get as big as one I can afford, just can't find one that ticks all the boxes. Iv read people putting vinyl down under the newspaper which sounds doable, but maybe if I had one with the removable tray (plastic) I could empty it and refill it like you would one with a solid base and just take the tray out to wash and it won't risk rotting or getting sodden?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now