Talk

Advanced search

Today we buried Jeffrey, the guinea pig

(10 Posts)
PacificDogwod Sun 13-Dec-15 21:37:12

Speeches were held, prayers said and tears shed.

He was only 2 sad

He is survived by his brother - how worried should I be for him?
There was no warning/sign that Jeffrey was unwell, he had been eating and pooping, and I saw him in the morning of the day I found him dead at night.
I wonder whether to have his brother checked out by the vet??
But what on earth can he actually do?

So we now have a lone GP which I know is not ideal, but I am not really keen to get a second one. We are planning on moving him in to a higher traffic area of the house so he has more entertainment with us.

Any advice?

Caution - TMI and vaguely gross: I had been weighing them from time to time, certainly not weekly, and when I weighed Jeff's dead body today he was a bit lighter than previously, but it was 3 days after death, so I have no idea how accurate it would have been?

Oh, it's so sad when pets die, but I suppose not having them in the first place would be worse.

FernieB Sun 13-Dec-15 21:45:34

So sorry to hear about this thanks. They can go from healthy to deceased very rapidly with no warning.

I understand about not wanting any more, so moving him in so he has lots of company and fuss will help. Earlier this year I lost Smoothpig (aged 4) and as Scruffy seemed quite lively I did boar match him with a baby - Gingerpig. I have since had Ginger neutered so that if Scruffy does die, we can find him an elderly lady pig (or two) for company. Would that be an option if your remaining pig is too lonely?

Hopefully he'll be fine and become a friendly house pig. Perhaps you could put him in plain view of the fridge - it seems to be my boys favourite spot!

PacificDogwod Sun 13-Dec-15 21:51:18

Aw, thanks, Fermie.

I had not thought about neutering Sgt T - hm, might be worth a thought, so he could have some older female company.

We do have to be careful where we put him as we also have DaftDog…

They have/had a huge C+C cage, but I thought maybe leaving Sgt T in an enclosed cage (I can get one from a friend - 6x3ft) might allow him to be with us without getting eaten.

I would not feel quite so bad if he had been a bit older - 2 is just so young for GP, isn't it? And I can't help but ask myself whether we missed something.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 13-Dec-15 21:51:22

Oh sad poor Jeffrey.

They sometimes do the "Well-to-Dead" thing, no reason for them to die but they are good at hiding.

Keep an eye on brother but it's most likely there's nothing that will affect him apart from now he's a lone pig. They do go a bit meh and he is young still.

Keeping a boar alone when he;s had a cagemate isn't ideal but they're tricky blighters to decide your next step.

We've been in a similar situation (more than once) and we've gone down the new boar route (piglet) then the sows route (after neutering) and most recently a new boar to match with our girls (in April)

So the spiral never ends wink

Keep him in the thick of things at home so he has company from the two legged householders and give him a few days to grieve while you decide.
It's a huge shock to get over .

Keep weighing your pig in the meantime, monitor his eating/poohong.

Off to The Rainbow Bridge now Jeffrey sad

clippityclop Sun 13-Dec-15 21:51:36

Terribly sorry for your loss. Parsley and paw holding for Jeff's brother from Poppy and Daisy.

PacificDogwod Sun 13-Dec-15 21:54:16

Thanks you, 70 and clippity, much appreciated.

Tbh, the kids have been giving Sgt T more attention since Jeffrey died than they have done for months beforehand.
They v much were/are my GPs grin

AtSea1979 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:55:01

Poor Jeffrey. I think a companion would be a good idea as DB is so young, if he was elderly I'd say leave it but as so young he def needs a pal. I have 4 though

PacificDogwod Sun 13-Dec-15 22:00:49

Yes, AtSea, I know you're right sad

Molio Sun 13-Dec-15 22:02:42

We've had many, many guinea pigs and each time one was left alone we got another one swiftly. They don't fare well on their own and often pine away, quite shortly after their companion dies.

Very sorry to hear about Jeffrey sad

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 13-Dec-15 22:02:50

Even though our sows had each other when GP3 died , and they were happy enough we thought...............they've really blossomed since we got GP6.
They were just parking themselves in the haybox before, now the three of them pootle round exploring.
They were used to their boar and they missed him.

( I also agree with consider neutering. If he's in good health , and your vet has experience castrating boars, it's straightforward)
A new boar would be quicker (and cheaper) though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now