Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Old rabbit nearing her end.

(7 Posts)
PrettyBrightFireflies Tue 08-Dec-15 14:25:32

I have a ridiculously old rabbit doe - I rescued her with her sister when she was 15 months old, and she's been with us at least 11 years, now. Her sister died suddenly a couple of years ago - fine one day, dead the next.

But, it's clear that her time is now coming. She's losing weight, her breathing has become more noticeable and she's keeping herself tucked up inside her shed. Saying that, she's still eating and drinking, and throwing her toys around periodically, too.

Have spoken to lovely vet, who says to take her in for euthanasia when I think it's time - he says there is nothing he can do to stop her wearing out from old age. My dilemma is whether to bring her indoors (I can make her up a space in a dog crate), so I can monitor her constantly, or leave her outside where she prefers (being indoors is unfamiliar and more stressful) and check on her regularly. It might be hours, days or even weeks - she's a stubborn little madam, so she'll fight to the end, I'm sure.

I hate this bit of pet ownership - knowing when it's time is so hard.

fortifiedwithtea Tue 08-Dec-15 15:21:34

I think she would be uncomfortable indoors. I assume she has grown a winter coat and would be too hot indoors. She probably wants quiet time too.

What an amazing old lady bun though, 11+ years old. She has obviously been well cared for and loved. Finding the right time to say goodbye is hard.

FernieB Tue 08-Dec-15 15:41:09

11 is a very good age. I agree to leave her where she's happy. It's a very difficult one, but you'll just know when it's time.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Dec-15 15:51:55

I brought mine in to the coolest room in the house for the last winter. He slept very happily under the kitchen table and hopped about.

After about 6/8 weeks he got a respiratory illness and had to be pts - I was really glad Id brought him in as I don't think he would have survived as long in the cold. And I would have felt really crap about that.

He was 12 smile and just such a great bun

PrettyBrightFireflies Wed 09-Dec-15 18:57:31

I brought her indoors this morning, she spent the day in the quiet of the hallway, but I took her down to the vets this evening and they PTS as she'd stopped eating and was panting as she breathed.
She was still perky, though - looking round the waiting room and giving me a snuggle before she went.

We'll bury her next to her sister under the strawberry patch.

Thank you for all the comments - they really helped. DH and I shed a few tears when we got home, but we both knew the time was right.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 09-Dec-15 22:38:34

I'm so sorry for your loss, what a lovely rabbit you had

thanksthanksthanks

FernieB Thu 10-Dec-15 06:14:16

So sorry to hear thisthanks. It's lovely that she was perky to the end, but absolutely the right thing to do. They do leave bunny shaped gaps in our lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now