Talk

Advanced search

Hamster with a lumpy eye anyone?

(3 Posts)
Girlfriend36 Mon 23-Nov-15 19:26:34

My dds year old Russian hamster has a small red bump on her bottom eye lid, it doesn't appear to bother her, doesn't look infected and hasn't got worse.

Anyone know what it could be and if the vets would do anything for her?

fortifiedwithtea Tue 24-Nov-15 10:23:50

Has she always had it or is it something that has recently appeared? Dogs and cats can have a condition called cherry eye but I don't know whether hamsters have a third eyelid, so may not be the same thing.

When my guinea pig has poked herself in the eye with hay twice, the vet put a liquid in her eye that showed up the damaged area green under a special light. She was given ointment and it healed in under 10 days.

Your hamster may have something in her eye making it sore. I would take her to the vet. She might need to have sterile water squirted into her eye to wash an irritant out ( like many moons ago my cat did when she got too close to me loading the dishwasher and got powder in her eye)

Hamsters are a prey animals and will hide pain.

Girlfriend36 Tue 24-Nov-15 18:48:05

Thanks for replying, I will ring the vets tomos I think... wondering if its something the vet nurse might be able to advise on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now