Talk

Advanced search

Best guinea pig pellets?

(12 Posts)
Washediris Thu 12-Nov-15 20:16:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffy24 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:18:38

Really? Why?? [worries she's poisoning the pigs]

Mine like Rabbit Royale mixture. I think it looks more interesting than pellets (Excel ones seem popular tho).

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 12-Nov-15 22:51:29

Muesli types tend to encourage 'picking' so they eat the bits they want and miss out some of the nutrients.

My pigs were eating Burgess Excell when I got them, so I've kept with that.

Fluffy24 Fri 13-Nov-15 07:03:02

Ah right.

Would it be very cynical of me to think that they are probably able to manage their own diet (no pellets in the wild) but that pellets are a great way to get them to eat the oats or other cheap parts of the diet that they ordinarily chose to leave?! grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 13-Nov-15 07:49:40

Guineas in "the wild" are smaller rangier rodents who eat a whole range of foods/grasses (they don't eat root veg like carrots in their native South America) so they can ensure they have enough Vit C and fibre.
(And I'm betting even if they don't end up on a skewer, the average lifespan is nowhere near that of a domestic piggie)

The pet guinea has been bred (maybe overbred?) to have these beautiful coat colours and types and we've taken advantage of their good nature . They're soft and docile.
My beautiful chocolate Himalayan with her sun sensitive ruby eyes would be a liability, she'd last 2 minutes.
"You've made us tame" they say as they ransack the food bowl in their safe warm Pighouse " you've brought us over to nasty,damp Essex. You need to look after us".

<<Note. I didn't fly over to Peru to catch wild guineas, they are exotic but not that exotic>> grin

Nowthereistwo Fri 13-Nov-15 08:04:47

Our rescue pigs were on burgess excel pellets so we've kept them on.

The rescue recommend pellets over musili for reasons mentioned above.

PurpleDaisies Fri 13-Nov-15 08:16:42

Ours like the pets at home own brand nuggets just as much as anything else. They get a small handful of museli mixed in but they always at the whole lot (they are very greedy)
I often think about how mine would fare in the wild. I have a very smart Himalayan boar who would definitely do well but the girls would most likely sit and wibble until something came along and ate them for dinner. My lovely old lardy boar was a wimp who was afraid of tomatoes. He would definitely have been munched!

HSMMaCM Fri 13-Nov-15 08:33:40

Mine like a mixture of muesli and nuggets. They eat all the muesli and some of the nuggets.

987flowers Fri 13-Nov-15 14:14:20

We have burgess nuggets too, I had to buy emergency tesco nuggets when I thought I was running out and they are not that impressed!

SconeForAStroll Fri 13-Nov-15 14:25:54

Mine are on the Beaphar pellets. They smell of herbs and our piggies love them. I occasionally buy the Burgess Excel ones and the pigs expressions are shock sad.

Monkeyinshoes Fri 13-Nov-15 14:28:54

Mine were on a muesli mix when I got them but they only ate the dried, squashed peas and sweetcorn in it. I switched them to pellets, they now have the Pets at Home own brand ones and like these.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Sun 15-Nov-15 21:30:22

Don't a lot of the muesli mixes contain things that are bad for guinea pigs, like peas and seeds? I'm sure I've read some ingredients on some mixes before and there were quite a few things in there that were a bit hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now