Talk

Advanced search

Guinea-Pigs-they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer are they? <<sigh>>

(12 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 03-Nov-15 20:57:50

We went to catch the FurBabies tonight to bring them inside.
My tiny little piggie (well she's not tiny tiny, she's a good kilogram weight) ran into the plastic tunnel. Lardy boar ran in the other way................................and neither of them would budge. I could see her little chocolate ears through the plastic.

But because it's that ridgey concertina type of tunnel, you can't grab-n-pull.

We had to squeeze the tunnel up and wiggle them out.

If it had been lardy GP4 and GP6 , we'd have needed bolt cutters and just hacked it open.......hmm

So come on, tell me what utterly pillocky cute and funny things your Super Furries have done (to take ten years off you)

FernieB Tue 03-Nov-15 21:33:26

Pigs don't like to do reversing. Were they arguing over who should back up and give way?

I lost Current Bun last week. I knew he was in the kitchen but couldn't see him anywhere. Found him eventually wedged between his cage and the wall, crouching under the radiator. The only way out was for me to either move all his stuff, or for him to reverse. Fortunately bunnies are happier to reverse than pigs. Only problem is, now he knows he can wedge himself there, he keeps doing itconfused

RandomMess Tue 03-Nov-15 21:38:37

grin

I loved it when my much younger but adult furry used to try and hide under my original furry, never did quite fit!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 06-Nov-15 23:05:50

I gave my pigs their plastic 'litter' tray (it;s a shallow , low front plastic cat basket, I put newspaper in it) with a good layer of Special Shreddings (cutted up looroll tube done in the confetti cut shredder)

My piggie is actually using it she's parked in the tray poohing.

Either she's nearly as clever as a rabbit or GP4/GP6 are keeping her out of the trug because they're mean/smelly/porky

By the Spring, she might be litter trained grin

FernieB Sat 07-Nov-15 11:02:07

Ha ha! "Nearly as clever as a rabbit". Finally 70! Current Bun is now preening his ears in a smug way now you've acknowledged bunnies are clevererwink.

FernieB Sat 07-Nov-15 11:04:16

Although if you'd seen them all playing in the kitchen this morning, you would have questioned the buns brains. His whiskers clearly told him he wouldn't fit in the pigs cardboard tunnel but he still gave it a go and turned himself into a snail.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 08-Nov-15 08:56:18

grin - that's one of the reasons I've never felt the calling towards rabbits. They are savvy and clever, two qualities I don't want in my domestic animals.
I prefer the Nice but Dim guinea-pig . wink

Last night we brought the pigs in as soon as the fireworks kicked off, I checked them before we went out......................all the food was gone shock. So they were "Guinea 2 Suppers", just to keep them occupied.

derektheladyhamster Sun 08-Nov-15 08:59:54

My rather large gp got stuck in a hamster ball. I miss him sad

FernieB Sun 08-Nov-15 17:48:46

Only 2 suppers! Poor things, they must be starving.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 08-Nov-15 21:39:21

2 suppers + a wedge of hay.
Fernie I use 8" dog bowls, these babies are not starving no matter what they try to tell you grin

Weekly weigh in, they've all put weight on (GP6 just 12g but the ladies each 40g)

We've made them a new 'toy' for the Pighouse. An old bookcase of DDs , DH cut some doors into the side of each section , all off centre to give them some interest and confuse them. There are 3 sections, so it'll make a 'tunne;' to scamper through.

FernieB Mon 09-Nov-15 07:53:54

The bookcase tunnel sounds brilliant. Gingerpig would love that - he is very energetic and far too bouncy for Scruffy most of the time.

Need to weigh and bath my boys this week. I keep putting it off as bathing is a nightmare.

LittleCandle Mon 09-Nov-15 08:06:19

My friend's piggies lived in a big cage on top of the fridge. The younger of the two learned that if the kettle was boiling, there was no hope of some veggies from the fridge, but if the kettle wasn't boiling, he would rattle the bars with his teeth to get a green bean or the like. The older piggie learned that quite quickly from junior.

I had a very sassy teddy bear piggie. When the kitten got old enough to jump up to where the cage sat, he would lie on the top of the cage and dangle a paw through, ever hopeful of catching a piggie. The piggies would ignore him for a time, but if he persisted in dangling for too long, sassy piggie would stand on her hind legs and nip his paw!

I sadly lost the kitten to the road a year later, and got two rescue cats. On their first night, I was sitting at the computer. Piggies' cage was on a box on the floor. One of the cats bravely ventured out to explore and (being large) raised his head to look into the cage. Sassy piggie stared him down in 10 seconds flat! The cats never went near them again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now