Talk

Advanced search

Guinean pig mites not clearing

(5 Posts)
PurpleDaisies Sat 31-Oct-15 15:10:36

Looking for some advice. We picked up our three lovely girl pigs from a sad situation about 5 weeks ago. They came with mites and we've been treating them once a week with panomec applied topically to their backs. I was expecting them to have gone by now but they still seem to be itchy and dandruffy. Should I change treatment or pervere? They're absolutely fit and well (very squeaky!) otherwise.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 31-Oct-15 23:27:39

Maybe try a shampoo and melt to moisturise their skin (Gorgeous Guineas have loads), cover all bases .

This time of year, their skin will tend to get drier anyway.
We plan to wash the pigs when they come indoors, our tricolour has some flakey bits (more noticeable because she has areas of black fur/grey skin)

If they had a heavy mite load then it'll take a while to clear anyway.You don't know how long they had them , what kind of hay they had. If it had gone from one to another, maybe with an attempt at treatment but not fully.

Glad to hear they are settling down smile

PurpleDaisies Sat 31-Oct-15 23:46:35

Thanks! I'll definitely have a look at gorgeous guineas. They are tri colour and I thought the black specks were more mites but on closer inspection I think it is dandruff. Not sure the girls will be very pleased with being bathed (Mr pig is not a fan) but I'm sure it'll do them good.

They have been popcorning around the conservatory this evening and squeaking/whirring at Mr pig who is desperate to move in with them (so far they've just been meeting through the mesh so he doesn't get the mites). Hopefully he'll be getting a new set of housemates for Christmas!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 01-Nov-15 12:12:48

Aww you'll need to do photos of The wedding when Mr Pig bonds with his laydeez smile

We had to give GP4 a cursory bum dip a couple of weeks ago (I think a combination of Boar Glue -she's GP6 favourite wife- and pee - they can pee directly behind them. Probably helps deter the unwanted advances of The Boar grin ). She has longer fur than GP5.

DD noticed flakey bits and I was fervently checking that there was Nothing With Legs living on her.

I will treat them all to a conditioning shampoo. And myself to some Elastoplast. GP5 doesn't like a wash............................

FernieB Sun 01-Nov-15 14:20:41

Mine are due a bath and Ginger is due a trim. His long tufts are getting a bit out of hand again.

Definitely need photos of Mr Pig meeting his wives. You'll have to make them a piggie wedding cake (layers of veg piled up in a vague cake shape) for the occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now