Talk

Advanced search

Post Spay Op Advice Please

(11 Posts)
midnightmoomoo Sun 25-Oct-15 21:14:39

My lovely bunny is having her op on Wednesday. I have the pre-op info but I've just realised I'm not sure what to do with her after we bring her home (I know the vet will tell me, but I'm being impatient!)

If anyone can offer some advice I'd be grateful.

FernieB Tue 27-Oct-15 17:29:20

Just had a Guinea pig neutered and the advice I was given was just to make sure he was eating and keep an eye on poo and check the stitches to make sure the area was clean (and not being chewed or scratched). It's a while since I had a bunny done, but I think it was fairly similar. Good luck with your bun thanks

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 28-Oct-15 15:33:38

No practical advice (I've had a guinea boar neutered too but it's a much less invasive operation than spaying)

Keep her warm, lots of nice soft bedding . We were adviced not to use hay, we got white/cream towels with fleece on top (to check for bleeding) and hay in looroll tubes to pull at.
Our boy practically sprinted up for his painkiller wink

Hope she's home safe soon.

midnightmoomoo Wed 28-Oct-15 20:05:39

Thank you both for replying. She's home but very dozy still and not eating yet, she's going for a check up in the morning so hopefully overnight she'll fancy something to eat. She's in the study for a couple of days, hoping she'll be warm enough as she's an outside rabbit normally. Fingers crossed she has a good night, it feels like having a newborn all over again!

FernieB Wed 28-Oct-15 20:46:11

I'm sure she'll be munching away soon. I just provided all the favourite foods which for piggies is anything from the salad drawer, but for my bun was carrot, parsley and his special bunny biscuits.

Keep her warm and give her lots of attention.

midnightmoomoo Thu 29-Oct-15 11:10:18

Back from the vet, as she's still not eating he's given her another pain killer and a gut stimulant. About to try tempting her again, if not I have to start syringing her with some recovery food they've given me.
She's flaked out at the moment, bless her.

FernieB Fri 30-Oct-15 07:17:23

Hope she perks up soon. Syringing recovery into them is no fun.

midnightmoomoo Fri 30-Oct-15 11:05:49

Thank you. Been back to the vet today as she's nibbled at her stitches. No poo yet, although she's beginning to eat willingly, just not enough to get her system going. She's a bit perkier though, and we have an anti inflammatory to help any discomfort inside.
Glad it's half term, what a palaver!! Good job the vet is just across the road too!!

FernieB Fri 30-Oct-15 16:26:37

So glad she's eating a bit now. Once she gets going she'll be better. You can always syringe a bit of food into her to bulk her up a bit. Watch her poo - it may look a bit abnormal at first as her system gets going again but will soon return to normal.

midnightmoomoo Fri 30-Oct-15 19:49:01

We have poo!!!!!!!! Finally! More work than a newborn baby this rabbit malarkey!
Thank you for letting me chat on here, DH thinks the best type of rabbit is one in a pie so he's not really up for being a sympathetic ear!!! comes of being a country boy with a master butcher dad

FernieB Fri 30-Oct-15 21:20:08

Oh you know you're a proper pet mum when you get excited over poop! Congratulations.

Very pleased she's finally produced - it's a good sign that everything's working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now