Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help one of new young guinea pigs has ringworm.

(9 Posts)
Washediris Sat 24-Oct-15 15:32:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 24-Oct-15 17:55:25

I was going to say don't waste time with home remedies, ringworm needs a vet treatment, but you're on it already.

WRT cleaning the cage etc, have you got a steamer or can you borrow one?
High temp steam (they use steam in autoclaves) kills most things and it's just water so safe for piggies.

I use Virkon in our pigs house when I introduce a new pig. (Amazon, I buy the sachets and make up 0.5 litres at a time and spray it)

I'd throw out anything that can't be cleaned, start fresh.

Humans can get ringworm too BTW.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 24-Oct-15 18:33:35

oh, what are you giving them as bedding
shavings and sawdust are drying so try to keep them on paper, fleece,megazorb - cover all the bases to get the little piggie cleared as quick as possible

'scuse the one handed typing, i'm holding gp5 - she's sulking in my fleece because we've weighed, claw cut and xeno 450 them

Washediris Sat 24-Oct-15 20:57:28

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 24-Oct-15 21:52:03

The trouble with any skin conditions is it can lead to secondary infection (itch/scratch/itch) through the open skin.
Intense itching can cause fitting through the pain.

Are they in a plastic cage (easier to keep clean that wood)

Steam and spray in combination would work best (spray needs to work on antifungal - Virkon solution or Beaphar Deep Clean)

Stress can be minimised by quiet careful handling and routine.
But piggies are very good at hiding illness so keep a close eye on them.

They are very young but at nine weeks not 'baby' babies.

Weigh them (we keep a record on DH computer)
Their weight, their droppings and food intake are good markers of health.

When we got the pigs they were pre treated with Xeno 450 (it doesn't treat ringworm though) we do it routinely (ours are lardy adults).

They are complex little mammals. Buckle up for the ride !
Good job we all love them wink

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 24-Oct-15 21:54:20

USA sites are different with advice too, their environment is different, air con in houses for example.
Different medication names.

Washediris Sun 25-Oct-15 09:13:29

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 25-Oct-15 17:28:03

It isn't a surprise that your other piggies has it TBH, they like to keep such close proximity .They are prey animals so cope with stress by sticking together. Don't forget they've have several moves (breeder-stockist-you)

Fungi have an uncanny ability to survive unfortunately, but keep up with the treatment and cleaning.
Ill/stressed animals are more likely to get skin conditions (most piggies 'carry' a mite population but it doesn't cause any problems unless they are ill, then it can flourish)

Are you taking them back for a check up? Ask the vet about mites treatment too (preventitive) I know some owners don't like the Xeno 450 but I've used it for years though of course, you cannot 100% say that every animal is ok with it.

I feel very sad and angry that your piggies have to go through this at a very young age when they should be settling in and getting to know you all . There was a Watchdog programme a while back about this , I suppose it depends where they're coming from.
Hopefully the other pigs that were with yours will be cared for as you are doing .

Washediris Sun 25-Oct-15 17:46:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now