Talk

Advanced search

Run/pen for hamster - anyone have any experience?

(8 Posts)
Velocitractor Thu 22-Oct-15 12:18:45

I'm considering buying this for our Syrian: http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73281

She used to have a daily run around our flat every evening as I thought I had hamster proofed. Turned out I hadn't as we had a panicky 2 1/2 hours on Monday night when she had apparently discovered a hole somewhere and managed to get under the floorboards and in the walls of our (very new and modern) flat. Turns out modern flats are pretty open in their 'skeleton' and we were lucky she didn't run into any of the walls to the other flats in the building. Thankfully she came out again but we don't want to risk it again!

So I'm considering the above where she can run around in our living room in the evenings and be a bit more part of the family, get some exercise outside of the cage etc.

Any thoughts / experience?

Velocitractor Thu 22-Oct-15 12:20:39

hopefully clickable link

Rowgtfc72 Sat 07-Nov-15 18:15:08

We've got a ball for now she does miles in it! Dh is thinking of making something out of MDF eventually. We did a cardboard mock up but she scaled it pretty quickly!

NicoleWatterson Sat 07-Nov-15 18:21:19

I second the ball. I sellotape the lid on after mine escaped (minding the air holes!!!)
Those runs do look nice though, I bought one of the pets at home ones- it didn't have a roof - stupid idea!!!

Tinfoiled Sat 07-Nov-15 18:23:02

Couldn't a hamster climb out of that, veloci? Or does it have a top/lid?

Tinfoiled Sat 07-Nov-15 18:24:17

I always think the balls are a bit cruel somehow and the poor things are basically just trying to escape them constantly rather than exploring their environment .

Rowgtfc72 Sat 07-Nov-15 21:07:55

Mine still explores and takes food for the trip! Yes make sure the lid is on, we've had the escaping hamster! Only twenty minutes at a time to as they need a rest and a drink.

NicoleWatterson Sat 07-Nov-15 22:07:41

Mine was definitely exploring, he knew his way round and would steer into the rooms he wanted to go to. He'd come back to where his cage was when he wanted to go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now