Talk

Advanced search

Pigs think they're neglected!

(7 Posts)
FernieB Wed 21-Oct-15 13:12:57

Yesterday my boys managed a couple of hours outside - it was sunny and warm enough for them to mow. They loved it and even sneaked a quick lavender prune in.

Today it's wet and miserable and they can't even have a run in the kitchen because the plumber is here and he's allergic to them. So the pigs are stuck in their cage feeling sorry for themselves. I've tried to cheer them up with a bag of salad with beetroot bits in and some basil and cucumber (which they've forced themselves to eat) but they're feeling neglected and keep giving me the evil eye every time I walk past.

Nowthereistwo Wed 21-Oct-15 13:24:02

My pigs are in the kitchen now for winter.

I had an idea to keep them amused. We have metal skewers for bbqs with a curled loop at the top. I realised I could hook the loop to the top of their cage and stab veg onto the skewer so it dangles down.

They think it's great fun as it moves as they try to eat it and means the veg doesn't get wasted on the floor.

I use carrot as the stopper over the blunt end.

Anyone have stimulation ideas?

Nowthereistwo Wed 21-Oct-15 13:26:10

Here's a photo - excuse the mess as it was before clean out and they had pulled the grass out of the hay rack.

FernieB Wed 21-Oct-15 14:34:48

Love that idea - I will try that although I suspect my older boy may think it's too much effort, the little one will have a go though.

Your piggies are lovely and the cage is perfectly tidy by my boys standards. Theirs looks like that about 5 minutes after cleaning

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 21-Oct-15 16:25:37

Aww lovely pigs Two beautiful colours.Love the veg skewers, we used to wedge a carrot or similar through the bars but it got ignored and wizened because they were too lazy to stretch.
We saw some piggies in a PetShop standing up on their hind legs to eat hay from a hanging ball thingey (they were either bored -there was very little in the cage except an igloo to hide in and avoid being gawped at- very hungry or showing off. "Buy Me, I do tricks unlike your Lardy Hogs 70 " )

The plumber is LYING about being allergic Fernie he just wants to see three little animals sulk. I hope you didn't open a fresh box of Jaffa Cakes for his teabreak.

Make him go out and turn off the stopcock and while he's at it, he can cut some grass to appease the pigs.

We bought a new tunnel for the hogs, GP4 and GP6 go in together then turn round confused, grumble about getting stuck and have a bicker.
GP5 is hmm "You can go straight through. It's a tunnel "

Nowthereistwo Wed 21-Oct-15 20:18:12

They do stand up on their back legs to get the grass in the hay rack. Think they're greedy.

It's been so fun to have them indoors I feel bad for the summer they were outside in the hutch.

Fernie - are you pigs happy to run in the kitchen? Mine aren't happy atm - think it's the new environment and tiled floor.

FernieB Wed 21-Oct-15 20:34:03

I stick a few old towels down on the wooden floor and then give them boxes to play with/in. They love it. Only Scruffypig will wander onto the wooden floor, Gingerpig doesn't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now