Talk

Advanced search

Winter vegetables for the Super Furry Animals...

(18 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 27-Sep-15 13:38:59

Now the salad days of summer are a memory and the days out grazing look numbered, your guineas will still demand fresh veg , a nice variety and in memory of OldBoy nothing too New and Fangled wink

I know by the end of October, many piggies will be sampling pumpkin, with varying success.

I was given a marrow, looked online to see if it was ok. Yes but some piggies don't like it. I tried mine on some trimmings (minus seeds) they were most pleased, it vanished grin

Ours like sweetcorn in leaves or mini corn. Regular corn is eaten but with less vigour.

Fresh spinach/watercress/rocket mix but not rocket on its own.

They like carrots with leaves, less keen on regular and even less on peelings.

Our GP2 liked beetroot but none of the other do unless it's in salad bags.

Swede - don't even look at it!
Broccoli - we stamp all over your broccoli Pah

They don't eat much in the way of fruit (watermelon and strawberries are scoffed but they're out of season)
Banana slice and a segment of orange sometimes
No to grapes ( "She could've cuttedup the grapes" they mutter)

So what are you proffering these fussy little gourmets?

FernieB Sun 27-Sep-15 19:05:54

Gingerpig has yet to sample autumnal delights - he was a Valentines baby and this is his first Autumn. Scruffypig is maintaining his green diet, although he will sometimes take a small bite of tomato if there's nothing else available. Smoothpig thought pumpkin (like strawberries) was evil so that didn't go down well here. He did love the beetroot from salad bags but not beetroot.

Mine are currently eating lavender from,the garden (when 'that woman' can be bothered to go out and pick it), kale, green pepper, celery, broccoli, parsley, basil (Just Scruffy), and cucumber. Ginger also eats carrot and loves tomato so much he gets very excited when he sees one. I may try him with pumpkin.

MrsRogerSterling Sun 27-Sep-15 20:58:14

My 4 girls are having celery, carrots, kale, basil, coriander and yellow/green/red peppers.

This pooped on broccoli when I put it in the hutch..... So that was me told!

They do like the odd slice of apple, raspberries, blueberries and watermelon.

Oh and they are partial to the Aldi mixed salad bag with peashoots in it!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 27-Sep-15 21:10:19

I buy bags of peashoots in Sainsburys but we have a new Aldi 5 minutes walk from me grin opened last week.
Will investigate their Guinea-Suitable veg.

Littlefish Sun 27-Sep-15 21:14:37

Our pig-girls like red and yellow peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, carrot tops and cabbage.

MrsRogerSterling Sun 27-Sep-15 21:15:53

They do a packet of 2 pak choi which my pig's love. Was on offer last week for 50p!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 27-Sep-15 21:22:56

Chichory
Romaine
Red topped lettuce

I need to grow things for them I reckon. Like those little 'live' salads,

I used to grow pea shoots on the windowsill for them <<adds peas to shopping list>>

SconeForAStroll Sun 27-Sep-15 21:47:39

Mine love celery - especially the leaves - and this extends to celeriac as well. blush at being one of those Overheard in Waitrose types "sweetheart can you get a celeriac for the guinea pigs please?"

Mine are loving the windfall pears, kale and sugar snap peas, but they do. not. like. Green. peppers. or. spinach.

I suspect they are rather spoiled. grin

dietcokeandwine Mon 28-Sep-15 20:19:23

Mine like and are generally fed a mixture of any three or four of the following:

Romaine or round lettuce
Celery (especially the leaves!)
Cucumber
Broccoli stalks (sometimes a floret or two as a treat)
Green bean tops/tails
Carrot (but turn their noses up at peelings)
Strawberry tops
Apple or pear peel (this can be hit and miss)
Red, green or yellow pepper
Cabbage or cauliflower leaves

They have been tried with but consistently refuse swede and parsnip.

Tbh most of what they are fed is the off cuts of what we'd eat as a family - apart from the lettuce and celery which I do buy specially for them. Oh and parsley of course!

FernieB Tue 29-Sep-15 11:21:57

Diet - you have it all wrong! The family are supposed to eat the 'off-cuts' of whatever the GPs are having. I'm surprised your pigs have not reported you yetwink.

I do grow parsley for mine during the summer in my special pig tub outside. I also grew carrot leaves for them this year. I should investigate growing pea shoots etc for them over winter. I have lots of lavender plants in the garden which rarely get to flower as my boys love it so much.

dietcokeandwine Tue 29-Sep-15 13:02:19

Ha ha Fernie yes very true!

DH bought some parsley for some fancy recipe he was trying out over the weekend. The looks on the pigs' faces as they realised he was going to chop it up and cook it shockgrin and not feed any of it to them...They had that 'I'm calling the RSPCA pronto' look on their faces.

Twiceover Tue 29-Sep-15 13:18:40

I just bought a living salad tray for the GPs and I am growing parsley on the window sill. New GP owner so v keen blush

They seem to happily eat celery, tomato (lucky as we have a late glut of them in the garden), lettuces, spinach, rocket, babycorn, carrot, broccoli. The only thing they have turned their nose up at so far is courgette. Greedy little piggies smile

FernieB Tue 29-Sep-15 13:27:21

You're a good new pig mum buying them special veggies - they'll luff you.

My DDs asked me at the weekend how much it cost to maintain their furry brothers (they're trying to persuade me to get a dog). I worked it out at about £1.50 per week for Current Bun but about £6.00 per week for the pigs! They're less than half the size of the rabbit and each cost twice as much - it's all the veg. That was not including any vets fees which again have been higher for the pigs, or my labour charge for cleaning them out (again, that would be more for the pigs). They'd better behave themselveswink.

babyboomersrock Tue 29-Sep-15 13:41:27

Mine like green and yellow peppers - not red - cabbage, cucumber, mixed salad leaves and some fruits. Strawberries most of the summer. Not keen on citrus fruits, but they've now discovered the joys of Victoria plums.

They do not like broccoli. Nor kale.

I acquired mine when they were past the baby stage and they'd already learned to love carrots, thank goodness. So carrots and turnips (well, they are Scottish!) are a staple throughout the winter, with whatever green stuff I can find.

Twiceover Tue 29-Sep-15 14:24:37

We, as a family, have recently eaten celery in a stew for the first time - the GPs are broadening our horizons! grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 02-Oct-15 13:28:25

I have never dared to calculate how much the Fur Babies cost to keep shock

In theory not much because DH and I are vegetarian so there's always something for them.

But when I add hay and herbs into the equation.....!

They are currantly supervising the washing drying (as much fun as watching paint dry, they say) so they're breaking up the boredom by filling their faces with grass.
"we don't know how many grazing days are left" nom nom nom.

I bought some red chard from Waitrose for them, much appreciated.

FernieB Fri 02-Oct-15 15:15:20

Waitrose chard eh? Very poshshock. My boys are munching happily. Just went out to see them and Ginger managed to convince me he was feeling faint and weak from his operation and could only be revived with something strong smelling such as half that lavender bush that's just out of reach!

fortifiedwithtea Fri 02-Oct-15 19:39:36

Today Millie wanted her clementine segment cutted up, she doesn't like juice squirting up her nose. Naughty Girl was in the bedroom and I have a strong suspicion that Millie ate her clementine too shock

Old Boy would not have touched clementine. He would have nattered in a cross way "new fangled and not to be trusted" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now