Talk

Advanced search

Coco, guinea pig has been pts today

(17 Posts)
fortifiedwithtea Tue 22-Sep-15 13:38:03

If Coco was human we'd be saying long illness bravely borne. Coco was my rescue pig who has lived with us 2 years. She gave DD1 take me home eyes and that was that; love at first sight and the two of them had a special bond.

From that moment the 'Fortified pigs' were a trio, Shai also came home with Millie and the 3 of them have been very happy. Sadly we noticed a lump shortly after Coco joined us and its slowly grown ever since. Over the last year she added more ailments. I thought, I'll let her have one last Summer and that will be it. In her last month she became incontinent and I knew time really was running out.

When she stares at the wall, when she stops eating I thought. But it didn't happen. Then last week she became cold and was using Millie for warmth. Millie was a wonderful nurse, let her use her body for warmth and groomed her. Shai took a few turns but didn't do as much <tut> All the time I was thinking please pass away in your hutch with your friends sad

The weekend was warm and I put the girls in the run with extra hay. Saturday happy times. Sunday, no Coco went to the Summer house. I will regret that decision for a very long time.

Monday, Coco couldn't sit down. Monday night discovered poor Coco was the victim of flystrike shock Because she was wet from wee, she attracted a fly who laid eggs on her. The eggs hatch in a matter of hours and she was being eaten alive by maggots. Between midnight an 1am she got a thorough bath to remove all visible maggots and I applied vaseline to all sore skin. DH cleaned the hutch all the girls had fresh veggies.

This morning my daughters said their final goodbyes to Coco before school. The plan was to take her to the vet this afternoon. At that time she was wet with wee but no more maggots and she ate pepper. As the morning went on I could hear she was uncomfortable. Owing to a change of plan we could take Coco to the vet this morning afterall.

I sat in the car, wearing my gardening guinea pig coat Coco snuggled into my side. DH came and told me when it was Coco's time. I left the pet carrier in the car and took her in wrapped in a towel under my coat. When the vet examined her we saw yet more maggots (hatched during the morning) Poor Coco was suffering.

She had gas to send her to sleep before the final injection to send her to the Bridge. With gas was a better way than Todd aka OB went. He didn't have gas first. He leapt into my hands with the first injection and fell instantly asleep but needed a second injection to finish him off. Coco just had one injection whilst she was drowsy/asleep and didn't feel it but she did take a long time to pass away. I don't know if she knew I was there, I hope she was too out of it but I stroked her head anyway. And all the time I could see the maggots wriggling away <vom> I said goodbye to her before she was gassed and kissed her nose.

Under the circumstances, you'll understand we are not letting the girls human or cavy see her body. Coco is being cremated. When we have her ashes back she will be scattered on her favourite part of the garden.

Believe it or not this is the abridged version of the last few days. 70 has heard it 'live' and has been so supportive. I want to thank her flowers

Somewhere there is a litter of Coco's pups born in Blackberry Patch Rescue, June 2013 and another lot born to her a couple of months prior to that. I wonder if any are a beautiful chocolate brown like her?

RIP Coco June (approx.) 2011 - 22/09/2015 shamrock parsley

ThirtyFivePounds Tue 22-Sep-15 13:42:50

RIP Coco sad

flowers for you OP

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 22-Sep-15 17:26:47

Off to The Rainbow Bridge now, little chocolate brown piggie.sad

It is a gut wrenching feeling when you cradle an animal and think "Please Die. Please die now "
You feel like Satan, but it's not death you're willing onto them but release.

I think animals "know" when their time is nigh and unlike humans they graciously accept it .

So little rescue pig, you had a new lease of life with Naughty and Millie . That second chance smile

MrsFlorrick Tue 22-Sep-15 17:36:26

Fortified! Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. And after you posted so kindly on my thread last week when we lost Thomas. sad

For you flowers RIP Coco.

I hope your DDs are ok and you too. How are the other piggies doing with the loss?

fortifiedwithtea Tue 22-Sep-15 19:40:21

That's ok MrsFlorrick How is the piglet search going?

DD1 (17 year old) is taking it well but reality has hit her harder than she thought. She's missing Coco. And she couldn't get the image of the maggots out of her head.

DD2 (nearly 13) had a big cry yesterday but has accepted it today. I think hearing about the maggots at breakfast made her see that it was time for Coco to leave us.

I just feel rung out. The hutch is stripped out and I'll disinfect it once I've finished Mumsnetting. The piggies are hiding in the pigloo with hay in a Lakeland Plastics tray meant for oven cleaning but I bought it for cleaning out the washing machine filter.

The hutch seems very big for just the two of them. Both piggy girls have been doing what they are known for. Millie has been non-stop eating. Shai aka Naughty Girl wink has been vocal. I had her on my lap this afternoon; she ran up and wedged herself under my chin and was whinging away.

I've thrown Coco's Metacam and syringes away. I may keep the dolls tea cup I used for Coco's foot spas for future piggy first aid.

70 I'll pm you

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 22-Sep-15 21:50:23

I found GP3s medicine syringe t'other day (insulin syringe to give him 0.3ml of his antibiotics)

Incredible to think it's 8 months since Dill went to The Bridge. (he's very friendly to sows and Jaffa. Hey Laydeez )

You'll find yourself saying "Oi, you three. Erm -You two" when they're food demanding.

fortifiedwithtea Wed 23-Sep-15 01:22:41

True sad having to stop myself trotting out 3 names. Served up less veg, that was weird.

DD1 cool front of Coco needed to be pts has crumbled. She is utterly heartbroken tonight. That awful feeling of wanting to see her again and knowing that it can't happen. She has so many feelings grief torments with sad

I've been offered a piglet, not due to be born until November. Must stick fingers in ears, there is the way to madness....la, la, la The plan is not to have anymore guinea pigs after Shai and Millie live out their days. Too much heartbroke for such short lives.

travertine Wed 23-Sep-15 01:39:46

So sorry fortified not been here before but we've had two losses from our lovely family recently, we're hamsters not little pigs and are also trying not to adopt again. Best wishes xx

fortifiedwithtea Wed 23-Sep-15 13:49:14

So I thought I politely declined potential baby sow as it wouldn't be fair what with big age gap between baby and my other 2.

Instead the lady said if I changed my mind I could have 2 babies! My options are tell her I'm this heartbroken sad sad sad X ten (true), my husband will divorce me if we have 4 guinea pigs (lie) or ignore <sigh>

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 23-Sep-15 15:20:01

If you really don't want Potential Baby Sows (PBS) then be firm grin .

Sows tend to get snapped up easier than those pesky boars ( I do love a pesky boar but they don't fit in so nicely to your group of girls.

Maybe when the pigs are born they'll all be boars so you won't need to take one?

My DH would divorce me if I took more pigs too (I was ogling a lone sow on Gumtree blush a mile away, but it was a few days before we went on holiday so I couldn't have done)

Baby piglets though <<squee>>

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 23-Sep-15 15:38:36

Or (I'm not helping here) by the time your PBS is born, you might feel ready to welcome a tiny new piglet?

We lost Dill in January and welcomed Bert into the fold in April. It just seemed the "right" time smile

FernieB Wed 23-Sep-15 16:46:19

So sorry to hear this Fortified. Poor Coco. I shall miss the tales of her foot spas and pamper sessions. She really was a brave pig to keep going on so merrily despite her ailments. Hugs to you and your DDs at this time.

clippityclop Thu 24-Sep-15 22:09:56

flowers from Poppy and Daisy. RIP Coco.

fortifiedwithtea Wed 30-Sep-15 18:46:47

DH has just collected Coco's ashes from the vet.

It's been beautifully done. She is wrapped in a little wicker package tied up with cream ribbon, decorated with a cream ribbon rose. I was going to scatter her but I think it might be best to bury her as she is. I also have a certificate of cremation from Norfolk Pet Cemetery, so she's been on a journey.

Its very light. I think the packaging weighs more than she does sad DH said he found collecting her 'moving' sad

Will put Coco in the garden at the weekend. Meantime she's in my wardrobe

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 30-Sep-15 18:57:32

It sounds like she's been beautifully prepared, I think the idea of keeping her in the little casket sounds lovely.

Have you noticed though, when they die how light and floppy their little bodies are?
My grandfather was a good Christian man who didn't believe that animals had souls (well Heaven would be much better with animals in it I reckon).

The weight change must mean they have huge souls.

we have 3 little gravestones in a row (plus the cat) it's comforting to know they're there. sad

FernieB Wed 30-Sep-15 21:46:57

Sounds like a beautiful little casket. Hope the burial goes smoothly.

Animals definitely have souls, but I sometimes wonder about some people! Coco will be over the bridge enjoying endless dandelions - Smoothpig is probs staring at her disapprovingly (he did a great disapproving stare)wink

millimat Sat 03-Oct-15 09:59:12

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now