Talk

Advanced search

Ferrets -feeding advice please!

(7 Posts)
DorothyGherkins Fri 17-Jul-15 13:21:21

I ve had ferrethood thrust upon me! My boss and his son have asked me to settle their new ferret kit in while they go away for the weekend. I have minced beef. I have ferret nuggets. Nowhere on the pack tells me how much food and how often to feed.

The internet articles I ve found are mostly American, and once again no one mentions quantities or timing. Can anyone help please?

catzpyjamas Fri 17-Jul-15 22:39:10

There's a guide here:
www.wellbeloved.com/ideal-bodyweight/ferret-feeding-guidlines

DorothyGherkins Sat 18-Jul-15 09:00:21

Oh thanks Catz! I hadnt found that one. Next question :how do you weigh a ferret!

catzpyjamas Sat 18-Jul-15 15:02:07

Kitchen scales?

purpleapple1234 Sat 18-Jul-15 15:10:22

Do you the prepared pellets? It is dead simple: put a palm sized mound in a bowl. When it is finished refill. Ferrets won't overeat and haven't got an food-inhaling eating style like dogs. Ferrets are lovely lovely pets. Hope you have fun with this little one.

DramaAlpaca Sat 18-Jul-15 15:14:23

Agree with purple. Ferrets eat what they need and will stash any leftovers to save for later. If you refill their bowl when you notice it's empty you won't go far wrong. Just make sure they have access to plenty of water.

Ferrets are lovely, great fun & very playful. We have two & they are like kittens who've never grown up grin

DorothyGherkins Sat 18-Jul-15 15:17:29

Ah purple thanks! I suppose that's what I was asking, if its possible to overfeed, but I dont want to starve the poor little thing either. I hadnt appreciated how beautiful their little faces are. Reluctant to chance this wriggly little thing on the kitchen scales, its a bit of a houdini, and dont want it to escape in my temporary care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now