Talk

Advanced search

Daft question about guinea pigs and peppers

(11 Posts)
millimat Mon 22-Jun-15 14:02:22

So our pampered piggies get their fresh food chopped and quite often peeled too, but I've just bought some mini peppers and they're very tricky to get all the seeds out. Can guinea pigs eat the seeds?

bettysviolin Mon 22-Jun-15 20:06:25

No. I think they can choke on them. Keep the mini peppers for you.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 22-Jun-15 21:06:35

Some seeds (like apple seeds) contain low levels of cyanide (as well as choking hazard and sharp)

We bought the mini peppers (Tesco, bag of mixed colours) we cut the tops off and whack the peppers on the palm of a hand to shake the seeds out.
DD likes the mini eppers, the pigs are less enamoured (they don't like green peppers either, fussy toads)

millimat Mon 22-Jun-15 22:14:51

Yep, they're the peppers I got. They better like them, I thought I was being kind as they usually get aldi grin I got them because they're keen on red, orange and yellow peppers but not green ones and that is what was in the pack!

FernieB Tue 23-Jun-15 07:15:02

You chop and peel their food shock! My pigs are very jealous. They have to chop their own food and are made to eat the peel.

millimat Tue 23-Jun-15 12:02:27

Tbh fernie it's good to see that when I prepare food for them it actually gets eaten unlike my children

fortifiedwithtea Wed 24-Jun-15 08:34:20

Cyanide in pips!shock That I did not know. We often chuck in an apple core for the girls. Greedy toads usually squabble over it too.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 24-Jun-15 13:27:25

I used to lob an apple core in for the pigs too fortified , I don't think it was cyanide that killed them wink

The seeds are sharp, I can imagine GP5 judgey face if she poohed one out "Jings, that smarts a bit shock "

I rarely give mine apple now, GP3 had his tummy trouble after apple. The girls ate it too so I can't blame it entirely but it's made me wary now.

FernieB Wed 24-Jun-15 17:58:38

Mine only get a tiny bit of chopped up apple (I do chop some foods) if I'm chopping some for the DC. They love it but don't get it very often. They had lavender today. I was weeding near their run and they both ran over to the bars and wheeked at me until I picked some for them.

slalomsuki Fri 26-Jun-15 11:48:11

Apple is the only fruit mine will eat. They actually squabble over who gets the most and steal it off each other. As mine are very lazy piggies this is probably the most activity they get per day.

clippityclop Wed 15-Jul-15 23:03:42

Mine look at me as if they think I'm slightly potty when I try giving them lavender, and strawberries for that matter. Don't know they're born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now