Talk

Advanced search

Shampoo for piggies

(8 Posts)
clippityclop Sat 30-May-15 19:36:58

Returned home to find a curly pig with a whiffy bottom (just wee no runny poo or anything) We lined the bathroom basin with a folded towel, put a couple of inches of hand hot water in. I bathed the offending end with the merest trace of olive oil soap, (rinsing well) while dd1 kept the other end happy with beans and cucumber. Despite the fact we're new to this she seemed to almost enjoy it, even the blow dry afterwards phew). There's bound to be a next time and it would be nice to use the proper stuff, so which shampoo would you recommend, and any tips for pigguy hairdressing?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 30-May-15 19:52:16

Gorgeous Guineas Shampoo ( their website has lots of 'pigtures' of various skin conditions too )

They do some trial sized bottles so you can buy a selection (and there's 'melts' to make a pre-wash conditioner for dry skin/dry fur pigs)
Foot cream
Face balm

And -cautionary note WRT blow drying a pig- there's a photo of a piggie with a burned rump after a too hot too close dryer was used sad

I had to blowdry the girls last week (DD has a hairdyer with various settings and speeds so we can use a very lukewarm setting . I always keep my hand on the pig to ruffle their fur and I can feel the temperature before they do).

Cutting fur- comb a small section away from the body and hold between forefinger and middle finger. Keep your fingers next to their body and trim the fur nearest you, so no chance of nipping them.

We bathed ours in the bathroom sink, had the bath part filled with warm water and scooped it over them. (Did one at a time)
Folded towel so they didn;t slip.

If it's just a grubby bum, they get a bum dip. Usually GP4 that needs a wash, my Himmy is always Persil white (not)

sanfairyanne Sat 30-May-15 20:14:13

yup to all the above
love gorgeous guineas shampoos

clippityclop Sat 30-May-15 21:54:15

Thank you, will have a look. The whole business was a lot easier than I anticipated, she was very relaxed as long as the food kept coming. We've got a hairdryer with a barely warm at all setting so I used that and paid particular attention to all the nooks and crannies. She especially seemed to like having her tummy dried!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 31-May-15 09:37:10

smile some pigs tolerate a bath, some like my Himmy practically froth from every orifice (must be part Gremlin).
I had a pig years ago who swam up and down the bath grin , we gave her a folded towel 'cushion' to rest on, she just loved the water.

My DDs GP3 9Rex) and GP6 (Teddy) have quick dry fur. We towel wrapped them and went round each one. He was bone dry when we lifted him up !. Just wicked away all the water and after a brief rub down, ready.

Same with the drop treatment. GP6 /GP3 fur absorbs it. The smooth girls had greasy patches for days.

<< new line in outdoor clothing based on synthetic Rex/Teddy fur is in the offing.>>
Just need a name: Trex. Reddy. Treddy. Texx?

MsPepsi Sun 31-May-15 10:45:00

I've just ordered some from gorgeous guineas. Postage is high so best to order a few things. I went for a lice shampoo, boar shampoo and then a pot of aloe Vera and a foot balm thing. Also swarfega is meant to be great for bottoms!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 31-May-15 12:15:41

Swarfega for claggy greasespots < envy > vom

We only had one boar with a Greasespot issue (GP1)

He used to deposit Boar Glue liberally on himself and his brother.

ImBrian Sun 31-May-15 20:14:52

I've got posh and go from gorgeous guineas but I haven't used it yet as my new (long haired) girl is not impressed at being handled etc. trying to win her round a bit before I traumatise her with a bath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now